lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Default New Cart Purchase - advice needed

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice here.

So I live down in Charlotte, NC. I recently sold a 2008 EZGO RXV that I purchased second hand and fixed up. It had all the bells and whistles. Lift, Lights, seat, extended roof, etc. The wife and I are looking to get something that drives little smoother and safer. Something lower to the ground or stock suspension, a Genesis 250 or 350 seat, etc.

In the past I purchased my original cart on Facebook Marketplace.

At this point I am looking for a stock cart that I can customize myself with the parts that I want. Not one of these refurbished carts that the resellers put the cheapest parts possible then turn around and sell for 7-8K.

Where have people found golf carts in the past besides Craiglist, FB, OfferUp, etc? Do golf courses sell no longer used carts or is that a waste of time to call the ones in my area? If anyone knows anyone local to NC, SC, or GA, I would be open ears.

I am looking for a newer RXV with at least the speed restrictions lifted or some information on how I can do that piece myself. (I have yet to search on the forums for tutorials on that)
rob_c28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: New Cart Purchase - advice needed

I can not remember the year that RXV went to the Curtis controller, the old RXV are not fun to work on but you can convert them
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pretty sure it was 2012 when rxv went to the Curtis controller. I wouldn’t mess with the previous years. Another cart to look at IMO is the Yamaha Drive. I own 2 now. One gas and one electric. Little nicer than the others. And if you don’t mind the drive you are roughly 2 1/2 hours from the golf car capital of the world
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

2012.5 was the changeover. Early 2012 was still Danaher. Easiest way to identify at a glance is the slotted cover over the controller, Danaher was raw aluminum, Curtis is painted black..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

I am planing on going to look at 2017 RXV with original Batteries and Freedom unlocked and a 2018 freedom RXV with new Trojan Batteries. There is a price difference of roughly $300. What are people’s thoughts?

Based off my research they look to have the same Curtis controller and all the same bells and whistles. Is it worth the additional money for 1 year newer batteries and them also being Trojan? Or save a few bucks and use it to add some new accessories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_c28 View Post
I am planing on going to look at 2017 RXV with original Batteries and Freedom unlocked and a 2018 freedom RXV with new Trojan Batteries. There is a price difference of roughly $300. What are people’s thoughts?

Based off my research they look to have the same Curtis controller and all the same bells and whistles. Is it worth the additional money for 1 year newer batteries and them also being Trojan? Or save a few bucks and use it to add some new accessories?
It's worth the $300 to get the newer batteries. Freedom mode is just a click of the mouse when you have your RXV reprogrammed... It's capable of 26 - 27 MPH with stock tires by having it reprogrammed for performance.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The newer batteries are a for-sure deal. A new set costs about $960 here, so the newer the batteries, the better. Freedom mode (19 mph) has to be unlocked by the dealer (or smart folks around here). If it's already done, that's something I'd consider a plus. Avoid high speed gears as an option, really, avoid that. Makes the cart work much worse for everything except for top speed.. Also, don't plan on huge off-road tires, they mess up the program. I know not all of this stuff applies to you, but the more readers who see this, the less will make the foolish mistakes. (I just hope to help those who don't know).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
rob_c28
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bob and CG

Thats actually why i am looking for a new cart. I had a 6 inch lifted one with Freedom Unlocked and I was afraid to go faster then rolling. Now I am looking at Low Profile Wheels and stock lift on the new one.

I will consider both carts when I see them tomorrow and will see what the wife likes better. I should add they are both in Freedom Mode with 14inch wheels and low Pros. Besides the batteries the only other difference is the 2017 has Aftermarket Light package with Led Headlights, turn signals, and horn. The 2018 just has the Factory Freedom headlights. No Turn Signals, Horn, etc.

I know i can add those after on so that is not much of a concern, but i do agree. Batteries mean everything when it comes to a cart.

Anything else I should look for in these model years when seeing them in person and test driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The newer batteries are a for-sure deal. A new set costs about $960 here, so the newer the batteries, the better. Freedom mode (19 mph) has to be unlocked by the dealer (or smart folks around here). If it's already done, that's something I'd consider a plus. Avoid high speed gears as an option, really, avoid that. Makes the cart work much worse for everything except for top speed.. Also, don't plan on huge off-road tires, they mess up the program. I know not all of this stuff applies to you, but the more readers who see this, the less will make the foolish mistakes. (I just hope to help those who don't know).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO