lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Trying to understand the curtis 1206 A2 terminal

Regarding the A2 terminal, or lack thereof, and the Curtis 1206 series controller, I understand the "How to" questions regarding wiring with and without A2 and how to switch/convert between the two. What I am curious about is what was the original purpose of the A2 terminal on the controller.

Looking at the wiring diagram of a 1206 controller without A2 makes perfect sense to me. What I am trying to understand is WHY they originally fed both A2 on motor AND back to A2 on the controller.

This is just a general curiosity, something I am trying to understand and not related to any specific cart or problem.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Trying to understand the curtis 1206 A2 terminal

The controllers that incorporated the A2 post had what is called "plug braking". In essence, Plug Braking allowed the motor the chance to slow down it's revolutions in the event you were moving in 1 direction and suddenly slammed the direction selector in the opposite direction. Yes, Curtis did eliminate this from later production carts, but that was due to the change in motor design (the fields in newer motors are better designed than they were in the old days)
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post441063
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Trying to understand the curtis 1206 A2 terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
The controllers that incorporated the A2 post had what is called "plug braking". In essence, Plug Braking allowed the motor the chance to slow down it's revolutions in the event you were moving in 1 direction and suddenly slammed the direction selector in the opposite direction. Yes, Curtis did eliminate this from later production carts, but that was due to the change in motor design (the fields in newer motors are better designed than they were in the old days)
Thanks for clearing up that for me, it always bugs me when I know how/what to do, but don't know the underlying reason WHY.

I never thought about that as a possible reason, makes perfect sense now. I think I may have seen the same general concept on other motors.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO