lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
av8erdunn
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries for my RXV

I was going to swap over to lithium but the conversion seems like more than I want to bite off right now. If the had a pack already put together I may be interested but I haven’t found anything. Right now I have 4-12 volt US Batteries and may switch over to Trojan or Crown. I heard my delta-q charger may need to be reprogrammed if I swap battery brands. Is that true? I thought batteries were equal when it comes to charging.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just called and 4 Trojans are $1300 and four crowns are $800. Which is better? Can I convert to 6- 8 volts for more range? Is it worth it to do that?
av8erdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries for my RXV

That is a terrible price for the Trojans. I had the option of Crowns or Trojans for about $850 and chose the Trojans. I'm delighted with them. I also upgraded my charger to a Gen 3 DPI. Sure makes a difference.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
I was going to swap over to lithium but the conversion seems like more than I want to bite off right now. If the had a pack already put together I may be interested but I haven’t found anything. Right now I have 4-12 volt US Batteries and may switch over to Trojan or Crown. I heard my delta-q charger may need to be reprogrammed if I swap battery brands. Is that true? I thought batteries were equal when it comes to charging.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just called and 4 Trojans are $1300 and four crowns are $800. Which is better? Can I convert to 6- 8 volts for more range? Is it worth it to do that?
In my area you can get 4-12v crown t-1275 equivalent for $600 total, not including install. IMO, the crowns are just as good (maybe better) than the T-1275.

One huge dealer in my state only sells 6v and 8v Trojan and Crown batts, but will only sell 12v in the crown brand. To be fair, he is basing this on issues he had with 12v trojans that Trojan swears that has been long since corrected.

In terms of range of T-1275 vs T-875, based on my previous post of amp draw, if I am doing the math correctly, it looks like you would get about 12% more range with t-875 down to 50% SOC.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have an RXV (Curtis) with the 8v battery set up. There are hundreds of RXV's here with most of them being the 12v battery configuration. In years past, shops here have been having issues with disappointing range in the winter for the 4x12v set up primarily with the Crown batteries. However, up the road on the other side of Atlanta in another golf cart intensive city, they were having similar issues but with the Trojan 4x12v set up. As reported, these batteries were relatively young, less than 2yrs old and in some cased still under warranty. This is not a scientific study and amounts to "word of mouth" but I through it out FWIW.
I have T-875s (8v) in my RXV and have not had any of the aforementioned issues. rockforpi's test reports estimated 12% better range with 170ah batteries when compared to 155ah batteries. My experience tracks with this tho I believe this may be conservative. I would bet its closer to 15%.

My batteries are 3 1/2 years old now with no measured degradation in performance yet. They have had 367 charge cycles. Many people with the 12v set up at this age are having to replace their batteries by now. The problem with the 12v is lower capacity. To go an equal distance you will discharge them deeper. The deeper the discharge before a charge cycle the less charge cycles you get before end of life.
As you can see in the picture, the 8v battery set up is simpler and more maintenance friendly IMO. Pretty much the same as a TXT. If you go this route there is a charge to reconfigure. New battery rack and cables.

FWIW, When Club Car introduced the Precedent model in 2004 they were all 4x12v equipped. They had so much trouble with them (battery issues) that by 2008 they gave up on the 12v all together and from then on all Precedents are 6x8v. They even developed a kit to convert the older carts to the 6x8v set up.

As stated for years in this forum, there are many variables that affect battery range and longevity. It is difficult to compare one cart to another unless it is identical and driven in the same manner in the same place. Even then YMMV. I think the consensus of opinion here has been and still is for the moment that in general the top 3 batteries are Trojan, Crown and US. You should buy the most capacity you can afford and maintenance is the key to long battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (367.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Another advantage of the Crown over Trojan is the Lug. Crown has both the 5/16 stud and a typical battery post. This come in handy when the customer never clean his terminals and a post melts. Just put a marine clamp on the battery post,instead of drill & tapping a new stud
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a 4x12V vs 6x8V comparison I put together a couple years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV 12V vs 8V Trojan batteries.jpg (189.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
av8erdunn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks y’all! If I wanted to convert to 8v where could I get a battery rack at?
av8erdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Search the BGW sponsors' websites for part number 671660G03

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Old 09-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrat View Post
another advantage of the crown over trojan is the lug. Crown has both the 5/16 stud and a typical battery post. This come in handy when the customer never clean his terminals and a post melts. Just put a marine clamp on the battery post,instead of drill & tapping a new stud
amen!
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Another advantage of the Crown over Trojan is the Lug. Crown has both the 5/16 stud and a typical battery post. This come in handy when the customer never clean his terminals and a post melts. Just put a marine clamp on the battery post,instead of drill & tapping a new stud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
amen!
Also, the stud terminals can be reserved for the high current cables only and clamps akin to the ones linked to below can be add to the post type terminals for the charger, voltage reducer, voltmeter and other low current wires,

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Bat.../dp/B01M9CWDFB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO