lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Looking for help/idea for relay.

Awhile back i bought a 12V 5 pin relay and never used it. Now I'd like to see if I can use it to change the power for my radio presets.

Currently those presets are maintained with a 12V deep cycle sla battery. I would like to have the presets change over to the 12V dc converter when the cart is powered on. The converter only has power when the cart is on. The presets currently have a 10amp fuse.

So do I use input sla to 30, and 87 to presets (cart off),
and 12V converter to 86 and 87a to presets (cart on)?
85 ground.
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for help/idea for relay.

Please post a pin-out for the relay. The pin labels alone are meaningless.

However, you say the relay has 5 pins, so i will guess that 2 pains are for the coil, which leaves 3 for the contacts making it a spdt relay.

Connect the radio to the C terminal, the 12V battery to the NC terminal and the DC converter. That assumes the relay coil energizes when keyswitch is turned on like the DC converter does.

I'd also add a capacitor on the radio power input line to keep voltage on the radio preset line during the changeover since the relay contacts will be break before make and there will bee some contact bounce while making.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is the relay.

And where should the resistor go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191216-113710_Gallery.jpg (340.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like it has a 12VDC coil, so use the 12V output of the DC converter to energize the relay.

85 & 86 are the coil. A diode should be connected between them. Banded end of diode connects to the terminal that +12V is connected to.

30 is the C (common) terminal. Connect the radio preset wire to it.

87 is the NO (normally open) terminal. Connect the +12V from the DC converter to it.

87a is the NC (normally closed) terminal. Connect +12V from SLA battery to it.

Connect a capacitor between 30 and the B- return wire on the radio.

There is no resistor involved, but there is a diode and a capacitor needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
Awhile back i bought a 12V 5 pin relay and never used it. Now I'd like to see if I can use it to change the power for my radio presets.

Currently those presets are maintained with a 12V deep cycle sla battery. I would like to have the presets change over to the 12V dc converter when the cart is powered on. The converter only has power when the cart is on. The presets currently have a 10amp fuse.

So do I use input sla to 30, and 87 to presets (cart off),
and 12V converter to 86 and 87a to presets (cart on)?
85 ground.
No relay required. A simple pair of 1N4001 rectifiers will perform the task. One (unbanded end) connected to the battery, and one (unbanded end) connected to the 12V reducer output. Connect both banded ends together, and connect that to your radio memory wire, The battery will power the radio memory when the reducer is off, and the reducer will power the radio memory when it is on...

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Looks like it has a 12VDC coil, so use the 12V output of the DC converter to energize the relay.

85 & 86 are the coil. A diode should be connected between them. Banded end of diode connects to the terminal that +12V is connected to.

30 is the C (common) terminal. Connect the radio preset wire to it.

87 is the NO (normally open) terminal. Connect the +12V from the DC converter to it.

87a is the NC (normally closed) terminal. Connect +12V from SLA battery to it.

Connect a capacitor between 30 and the B- return wire on the radio.

There is no resistor involved, but there is a diode and a capacitor needed.
Thank you.

I'm not sure I defined this, I am not very electrically inclined. I was determined to use the relay I had sutting.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
No relay required. A simple pair of 1N4001 rectifiers will perform the task. One (unbanded end) connected to the battery, and one (unbanded end) connected to the 12V reducer output. Connect both banded ends together, and connect that to your radio memory wire, The battery will power the radio memory when the reducer is off, and the reducer will power the radio memory when it is on...

Bob
Thanks.

When you know nothing about electronics you try and use your square peg relay, that is sitting around, and put it in the round hole.

I will try the 1N4001.

My sla experiment is nearing completion. I'm liking it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO