lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
Holt309H
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 club car linkage

I’m struggling a bit getting the carb and governor linkage all to where I think it’s correct. Is there a thread that goes through the start up and linkage functionality, return springs etc? For example, I cannot get the engine to low idle without an extra throttle return spring. The extra spring as expected interacts with the spring on the end of the throttle cable making it hard to get full throttle. It also appears that the cart is only meant to start by tapping the gas pedal while in neutral. And then shift into forward or reverse. Is that how it’s supposed to function?

I bought the cart with a rod knock. J & M rebuilt it and I have it running up to about 12mph so on stock tires. just can’t seem to get 100% happy with the items above. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holt309H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1985 club car linkage

For normal operation, the cart should not run at all in neutral, only in F & R. But the cart can be put into "maintenance mode" which allows the cart to run only in neutral. On the 1986-up carts, there is a little yellow plastic cam on the backside of the shifter. It's spring-loaded and if you turn it 180 degrees it will switch operation between normal mode and maintenance mode. But I think on the 1984-85 carts the neutral safety switch is different. The cart should not be started in neutral and shifted into gear.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Holt309H
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I’ll check out that maintenance mode today. Do you know where the return springs should be / how many should be there? I’ve got a small one between the carb and linkage and one back on the arm which connects to the longer rod that goes back to the transmission. Is there only 2 springs on the linkage?

Old 02-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Holt309H
Not Yet Wild

My cart is an 87 I’m sure it’s in maintenance mode. Does that mean that the cart engines just may not really sit at low idle?

Old 02-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

If it's in maintenance mode it will only start and run in neutral.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I too would be very interested in this information.
Barrysuperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car