lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
mikedb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default cw clutch on ccw motor

Hello
I have a new to me 1994 carryall. The primary clutch sheave is badly worn.
The most common replacement clutch I can find are the cw rotation 1997 + clutches.My engine turns ccw
Can this be used. and what if any changes would have to be made internally to allow it to work properly?
Or is there another brand of clutch I could use as an replacement. I am a machinist with my own equipment, if mods are required.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: cw clutch on ccw motor

The primary doesn't know the difference between CW and CCW....the secondary is another story. If the shaft size is right, it should work fine.

Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
mikedb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thankyou
Old 03-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I believe theres some anti-chatter pads in there so it may make a little more noise, but I've got one on my 93 carryall and no problems. Just bolted it on and havent looked back since.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The only difference in the drive clutch direction is the direction the take-up spring is installed under the clutch buttons, Or button because there should only be one take-up spring.
If you really care about the difference then you can just remove the outer cover, find which button has the take up spring (it wont wiggle as much as the other two) remove the button and flip the spring to the correct side for your rotation direction. The spring should be on the side toward the direction of rotation.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
mikedb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thumbs up Re: cw clutch on ccw motor

Thank you again
A suppler had told me the 97 up primary would not work.
Glad there are more knowledgeable people on this site to learn from.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
The primary doesn't know the difference between CW and CCW....the secondary is another story. If the shaft size is right, it should work fine.

Jim
I'm not disagreeing with you, as I have seen this done and it worked fine. But I've often wondered about long term reliability. Why do you suppose Club Car offered a 101637802 CCW Drive Clutch and a 101833902 CW Drive Clutch? I've often wondered what the physical differences were.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Tahoe I dunno if it's true for all of them, but something I noticed with the clutches on my carts a few years ago when I first started getting into these was the diameter of the starter pulley on the clutch.
The counter clockwise clutches (at least the two I have here) have a smaller diameter pulley. It's diameter is slightly smaller or even with the outside of the clutch sheaves.
The clockwise clutches have a larger diameter pulley, which is larger than the diameter of the sheaves.

There should also be a difference in the part number based on the orientation of the take-up springs.
Minor differences, but since these would be installed by the clutch manufacturer, it would/should mean a difference in the catalog system.

I've not had both types apart side by side to compare, but I don't remember seeing any noticeable differences inside.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've got a spare of each. One off a newer DS and one I took off my 93 carryall. I'll have to open them up and take a peek side by side
Old 03-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've got 2 clutches here. One I pulled off a 99 DS and one I pulled off a 93 carryall, both FE290.

I can't tell any difference at all between them. They look identical to me. Maybe the direction of the spring that pushes it open is reversed? I didnt take the 93 clutch down that far to see but that's maybe the only difference I can think of. Otherwise they look exactly the same to me

The 99 is on the left (lighter color) and the 93 is on the right (darker color)

Edit: you can see how the bushings are worn down on opposite sides depending on which way the clutch was running. But think that's a wear difference not a design difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200327_145551.jpg (332.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200327_145601.jpg (302.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200327_145606.jpg (317.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200327_145757.jpg (314.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car