lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for more better breaking power: How does regen braking actually work?

Does regenerative braking, from an upgraded controller, work together with the drum brakes to slow a cart faster or does the regen become ineffective when actual physical brakes are applied?

I've got a 2015 TXT 48v that is stock motor and controller but runs 21mpg. While manageable, I'm not thrilled with the stopping distance and would like to find a way to have it be better.

My options, as best I can find:

- Replace the rear drum brakes

- Add front wheel disc brakes ($350 - $400)

- Get a new controller and dial up regenerative braking (~$600) (this is obviously the most expensive but if regenerative braking works it's almost like a 2-1 solution for me as I get a new controller as well).
Buck9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for more better breaking power: How does regen braking actually work?

Sounds like your 1206HB controller is in the freedom mode, so the regen braking isn't turned on. (See page E-1 in attached service manual)

Only two of the five performance modes available have regen braking, those being Golf Mild Hills and Golf Steep Hills and the top speed with stock height (18" tall) tires is 13.8MPH and 12.8MPH respectfully.

Sounds like you are running 20" tall tires on your cart since the stock TXT48 controller limits the motor to about 4400RPM and that translates to about 21MPH with 20" tires.

Drop an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 Or larger) user programmable controller in it and you can up the speed to about 26.8MPH (Stock TXT48 motor will spin up to about 5600RPM without RPM limiting and power from a 48V battery pack) as well as having regen braking that can be turned up to very strong braking when you lift your foot.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html

The RPM limit can be turned down to whatever you want the max speed to be.

-----------
Can you lock up the rear tire with the drum brakes?
If not, the brakes may need adjusting. Section K in attached manual.

Basically, find a safe area, load both sides of cart equally (Driver and passenger seats with about the same weight in them.), accelerate to near max speed and stop aggressively without applying parking brake and release pedal just before cart stops. Repeat process until tires will lock up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 48V TXT Service Manual.pdf (4.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Looking for more better breaking power: How does regen braking actually work?

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for.

I definitely can't lock up the rear tires, so I'll be adjusting the brakes this weekend and look to add a controller in the next month or so.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you are running taller than stock tires, the rear wheels might not lock up, but the mechanical brakes ought to produce from about 0.27g up to about about 0.50g of deceleration according to the ANSI Z130.1 Standard for golf carts.

From 20MPH, the stopping distance ought to be 50' or less, but not sure if that includes reaction time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mechanical Brake Adjusting.jpg (148.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Regen can be turned on in the stock controller. if it is the 1206HB-5201 type
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #6
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Regen can be turned on in the stock controller. if it is the 1206HB-5201 type
My 2013 TXT48 will skid the tires a bit if I lift my foot at speed on gravel. Very strong regen. My friend set it stronger with a hand held device..
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My 2000 TXT does not have regen. I do have front Jakes disc brakes.

Maybe not the place to ask it....but I will anyway.....Can I "turn on" regen braking? Or is that a motor specific issue along with a controller setting. Or is it just a controller setting?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave regen is pretty much a sepex thing.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
My 2000 TXT does not have regen. I do have front Jakes disc brakes.

Maybe not the place to ask it....but I will anyway.....Can I "turn on" regen braking? Or is that a motor specific issue along with a controller setting. Or is it just a controller setting?
2010 or newer TXT48 with the Curtis 1206HB-5201 or newer controller, it's an option that can be turned on and then adjusted for how strong it is wanted to be.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

What do I need to turn on and adjust the regen ability on my 2015 TXT?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO