lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Let's see your battery conversion pics!

I am looking to add 2 more 6V batteries to my 97 TXT and upgrade wiring, solenoid, and controller to 48V to get some more speed and range! I've read that just changing to 8V batteries would cost me range as they are lower amperage betteries? Please correct me if I am wrong. I am curious to see how/where some of you added your batteries. I appreciate the help! I've always had gas carts before, and trying to learn the electric carts is...well....an overwhelming amount of info to dredge through!
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: Let's see your battery conversion pics!

JohnnieB has done several comparisons regarding lead, weight, 8 vs 6, etc. He's your man on the info there.

There have been a few guys that have done 8 - 6 volts that may chime in. From all I've heard, adding two more 6 volts does give you more range, but you give some of that back because you've just added 150 lbs to the cart, not to mention the loss of space to fit them in. (bagwell, etc...)
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzdude View Post
I am looking to add 2 more 6V batteries to my 97 TXT and upgrade wiring, solenoid, and controller to 48V to get some more speed and range! I've read that just changing to 8V batteries would cost me range as they are lower amperage betteries? Please correct me if I am wrong. I am curious to see how/where some of you added your batteries. I appreciate the help! I've always had gas carts before, and trying to learn the electric carts is...well....an overwhelming amount of info to dredge through!
Since you are comparing battery pack of different voltages, Watt-Hours rather than Amp-Hours have to be used.

A 48V pack using six 8V-170AH batteries actually has slightly more storage the standard 36V pack using six 6V-225AH batteries.
48V x 170AH = 8160Wh
36V X 225AH = 8100Wh.

What swm63 said about using 8 6V batteries is true.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #4
vzdude
Gone Wild

So....Thank you all for the input! I'm looking at the #4 package from ScottyB and go big from the get go. My problem is, I've got 6 new...NEW...6V batteries that they will not exchange for 8V.....that leaves me with the option of trying to sell them, or adding 2. Adding 2 makes the most sense to me, and still accomplish the same. Changing the charger will be the only real extra expense. 23" tires and that package, what do you think my speed will get to?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Here's a couple pictures of how I have my batteries mounted in the bagwell.

20180207_122649.jpg

20180207_122701.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzdude View Post
So....Thank you all for the input! I'm looking at the #4 package from ScottyB and go big from the get go. My problem is, I've got 6 new...NEW...6V batteries that they will not exchange for 8V.....that leaves me with the option of trying to sell them, or adding 2. Adding 2 makes the most sense to me, and still accomplish the same. Changing the charger will be the only real extra expense. 23" tires and that package, what do you think my speed will get to?
vzdude, If you see this, PM me the info on the 6 volts. I may buy them from you. I have a 36v cart with the pack on it's last legs and don't have the cash right now to up it to 48v. I'm in New Albany, south of you. Just a thought...
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
vzdude
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
vzdude, If you see this, PM me the info on the 6 volts. I may buy them from you. I have a 36v cart with the pack on it's last legs and don't have the cash right now to up it to 48v. I'm in New Albany, south of you. Just a thought...
Sorry.....already bit the bullet and bought 2 more.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO