lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Mattdvo
Not Yet Wild

Default Automotive shock replacement

I am building a 93 electric marathon for my family to use at our camp ground and our cheap eBay block lift got tangled up in the rear shocks and completely destroyed them , with the 4” lift and the common drivers side gangsta lean that all old carts get i knew i did not want factory shocks , i searched for a couple of days to try and find a part number of make / model Of a vehicle shock I could use that would not create a horrible ride no such luck all answers were vague and inconclusive, I have the answer and the shocks that can be used if anyone else is in the same boat , with a 4” block lift front shocks off a 95 ford ranger 4cyl are bolt in replacements , u need to press out and reuse the sleeve on the lower mounts though , with the block lift the shock extensions can be eliminated , this is works for the rear and it rides awesome have not replaced the fronts yet as they are ok hopefully this can help someone else in same predicament
Mattdvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
vzdude
Gone Wild

Default Re: Automotive shock replacement

Shocks do not support weight. They absorb shock. If you are trying to correct the lean, you'll need new springs. If you want to replace the shocks, the replacement golf cart shocks are cheaper than most automotive stores. Just my opinion. FWIW
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

what VZdude said is the truth I have been looking for my rear shock solution for a while now. I have one monore gas shock on there now because I have the 4" rear blocks with the new heavy duty rear ezygo leaf spring and the ride shocks so bad I did not bother to put the other one on.

the shocks on the carts are basically dampers not real shocks. the problem with the new spring is the shocks would have to be 17" long and the golf cart shocks that are listed for the cart 13" fully extended. plus the ones I ordered must have a weird metric thread pattern as I have been unable to find shock stud extenders that match.

I will keep you posted if I can find one that works
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Mattdvo
Not Yet Wild

I know that shocks are to absorb shock not support weight , but these are gas charged shocks meant to dampen a small pickup truck I can assure u that a good amount of lean has come out of the cart , when the cart it static in the garage it now sits perfectly level , all I know is it works well and the ride of the cart is smooth and comfortable , I posted to help others not to debate this that and the other thing
Mattdvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Can you post some pics?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

as mentioned shocks are meant to dampen the ride,not control ride height.
The reason for useing gas/nitrogen filled shocks is being the gas is inert,dampening will remain contstand regardless of heat due to

repeated use.
Yes automotive shocks can raise the cart but this is due to them being used on heavier vehicles like cars.

Best is to remove all shocks from cart then see where it sits low and correct with new springs. Once done add correct shock to get proper equal dampening at each corner.
Probably not a good idea to use auto shocks with gas pressure to compensate for worn springs.
Jmo😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
ooxtreme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdvo View Post
I know that shocks are to absorb shock not support weight , but these are gas charged shocks meant to dampen a small pickup truck I can assure u that a good amount of lean has come out of the cart , when the cart it static in the garage it now sits perfectly level , all I know is it works well and the ride of the cart is smooth and comfortable , I posted to help others not to debate this that and the other thing
I just did the same thing on mine. I didn't use them to adjust height. Used Monroe #56000. They were yellow so i painted but rides great so far and within the measurements of the ezgo ones.
ooxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
Chugger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I too did the same for rear of my ezgo txt, except I used NAPA.
I found one place that stated the factory dampeners for an ezgo were 13" compressed and 17" extended, so anything near those ranges should work fine. doesn't matter if compressed number is smaller, usually a vehicle would have bump stop before shock bottoms out. No matter what store you walk into just tell them you need a rear shock for a 1966 Mustang. there wasn't a single store around me that had one in stock, I tried them all - ordered from napa online and was at door step in 3 days. all these have the threaded stems on both ends.

NAPA #94066 - 10.75" compressed - 17.25" extended - napa
Monroe#31069 - 10.75" compressed - 17.25 extended - oreillys
Monroe#5600 - 10.75 compressed - 17.25" extended - advance auto parts
TS32-33922B - 10.75" compressed - 17.25 extended - AutoZone
Chugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
ooxtreme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
I too did the same for rear of my ezgo txt, except I used NAPA.
I found one place that stated the factory dampeners for an ezgo were 13" compressed and 17" extended, so anything near those ranges should work fine. doesn't matter if compressed number is smaller, usually a vehicle would have bump stop before shock bottoms out. No matter what store you walk into just tell them you need a rear shock for a 1966 Mustang. there wasn't a single store around me that had one in stock, I tried them all - ordered from napa online and was at door step in 3 days. all these have the threaded stems on both ends.

NAPA #94066 - 10.75" compressed - 17.25" extended - napa
Monroe#31069 - 10.75" compressed - 17.25 extended - oreillys
Monroe#5600 - 10.75 compressed - 17.25" extended - advance auto parts
TS32-33922B - 10.75" compressed - 17.25 extended - AutoZone

Yup same #'s i found as well dimension wise. Like i said rides just as good and 1/2 the price!!
ooxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO