lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Marathon slow taking off and stops on any incline

Hey I'm new here just bought a golf cart recently it is an 1991 EZGO Marathon with 3 12V batterys to make 36V, I was following along the matinance manual today and ended up taking the motor apart and the brushes were out of place I cleaned everything up in the motor and left the old brushes in there as they were within spec I re-installed the motor and the cart started to move. Once moving it is very quick but takes off very slowly, and will only work on flat ground as soon as I go up any sort of an incline big or really small it slowly dies and stops. I Initialy thought I might be the batterys(which are only 6 months old) the voltage I got was 38.2 volts and then i put the cart on a incline and with the pedal fully depressed and the cart trying to crawl up the incline the voltage dosent go below 38 volts across the battery terminals, I tried each battery separately and there was only 0.1 volt drop on each battery separately when trying to go up the hill. I'm stumped any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
Maharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon slow taking off and stops on any incline

Does your cart have an electronic speed controller, or several coils (resistors) between batteries and motor.

In either case, it is designed to operate on a 36V-225AH battery pack and you have a 36V-150AH battery pack, so it work travel very or very fast or for very long.

Setting that aside, if the battery pack voltage is not dropping very much and the cart isn't moving very fast on hills, not many amps are getting to the motor. Could be bad cables or connections, maybe bad solenoid contacts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: EZGO Marathon slow taking off and stops on any incline

1991 should have speed controller. They started in 89 changing over to the speed controller's.
Check the hubs and make sure the splines are not stripped. If the castle nuts are loose it could be slipping and not pulling. Also if you are full down gas pedal and your not going under 38 volts it sounds as if you have no resist's which is why I say check the splines. Your batteries under load should drop down below the sitting voltage by a few volts and then start back up. Not dropping below 38 volts on a incline and the cart stops! Look at the hubs and see if the hub is just spinning and not the axles.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It does have a speed controller not a resistor setup. Is there anyway I can test the solenoid and is it possible to disassemble to clean the contacts or will I need a new one? I'm going to try replacing all the cables what gauge should I go with? and I am looking around for some good golf cart batterys i want too get 6 6volt batterys like the cart was designed for just dont want too put alot of money in batterys and then still need to buy a controller or a new motor. I also checked all the splines and everything looks great. I tried removing and cleaning up all the wires and battery posts with Emery cloth as well, no change.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just relized on the electrical diagram it shows a 75V 20mm MOV on the controller and my cart dosent have one what is the purpose of it?
Again I Appreciate any help as this is the first golf cart I've ever owned thanks,
Matt
Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is most likely not repairable.
The high current cables (all 13 or 14 of them) ought to be 4Ga or thicker.

Connect your DVM between the controller's M- and B+ terminals and monitor the voltage while going up the hill is really slows down on.

With pedal on floor, the voltage between M- and B+ ought to be equal to the battery pack voltage, when going up same hill.

If it isn't, connect the DVM between the controller's B- and B+ terminals to see if pack voltage is getting to the controller.

If it is, we need to check out the throttle.

-------------
FWIW: You say the cart runs fast on level ground, so chances are the controller and motor and throttle are okay, or at least in the ballpark of normal operations. While puny for the application, the batteries are not dropping in voltage under load like they should be, so I suspect the problem is bad high current cables and solenoid.

May be other issues, but those will have to be sorted out after the major one(s) are corrected.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharvey View Post
I just relized on the electrical diagram it shows a 75V 20mm MOV on the controller and my cart dosent have one what is the purpose of it?
Again I Appreciate any help as this is the first golf cart I've ever owned thanks,
Matt
It will work without the MOVs.

MOVs are surge protectors and I have no Idea why EZGO installed them on a 36V system.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will try this in the morning thanks, can I jump out the solenoid for testing purposes or will I damage anything by doing this
Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
Maharvey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just tested the voltage between B+ and M- while going up a hill with the pedal fully pressed I'm only getting 4.5 volts, I then tested between B+ and B- without the pedal pressed it only shows 36 volts as soon as the solenoid clicks it jumps up to 40 volts then settles too 38 when the cart starts moving and stays at 38 even up hills.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharvey View Post
I just tested the voltage between B+ and M- while going up a hill with the pedal fully pressed I'm only getting 4.5 volts, I then tested between B+ and B- without the pedal pressed it only shows 36 volts as soon as the solenoid clicks it jumps up to 40 volts then settles too 38 when the cart starts moving and stays at 38 even up hills.
The controller is only passing about 12% of the available energy to the motor.

Disconnect the black and white wires from the controller and connect an Ohmmeter between the loose wires.

With the pedal up, you should measure close to zero Ohms. (Up to about 300Ω is okay)

Slowly press pedal to floor and the Ohms should smoothly increase to about 5,000Ω. (Has to stay below 7.000Ω)

If you are getting the correct Ohmic values, the controller is bad.

Tags
1991, ezgo, hills, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO