lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Deceptive
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 TXT Reverse/Forward issue

Hi all..
I know this is not a normal reverse /forward issue to do with reed switches.
Verified both forward and rev switch are metered out working correctly.
I removed out the reverse switch as well out of the equation.

The issue is that randomly when in forward the cart will slam into reverse. With the forward engaged it will be "stuck in reverse" regarless of the switch position, thus the reason to disconnect the micro switch altogether.

Wiring is original and never been replaced or mucked with. I cleaned all controller contacts on the molex connector and made sure everything looked nice and clean.
Double checked solenoid connections and also check for any visual shorting.that I could see.
Key operates properly as when off no solenoid click when hitting accelerator.
Seems once it is stuck in reverse , the motor will jitter as it tries reverse and forward , usually failing to stay in reverse.
While reverse is engaged and switch connected , always fine in reverse , never a **** to forward . So that rules out any weird swapped wiring , although as I said it just does it by itself.

The only other weirdness I see is that when I toggle the f/r selector, I hear the solenoid always click when I put in R. Never when I switch back to F, even when forward is working.

Is it possible the solenoid is failing and sticking closed or jumping into closed and causing the reverse polarity to the motor .
Does the controller ar all have any bearing on forward and reverse switching ? It is an original controller that has all the connectors on the top , including the molex plug .
The solenoid is mounted to a strap holding the controller and there is a diode pack/board mounted to the bottom .
Also wondered if maybe a diode is breaking down and allowing flowback .

Any thoughts or suggestions and this one is killing me ...
I also went through the schematics here but could not locate one with the controller I have with that single molex to see what exactly the inputs/outputs did .

Thanks in advance fellow carters

Chris
Deceptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 TXT Reverse/Forward issue

From the "clues" given, it sounds like you have a DCS (sepex drive) cart.

If it is, the controller will have a 10 pin connector with the #8 slot not used and a Run/Tow switch on the controller's environmental cover.

The reed switch is not associated with the direction the cart travels, its purpose it to prevent the cart from running when the charger is plugged into the cart.

The two switches on the F/R assembly are "Run" and "Reverse". In Froward, only the Run switch is engaged, in Reverse both switches are engaged.

The controller defaults to Forward and has to be told to go into Reverse mode.

The solenoid should click when the pedal is pushed, but may click when the direction select lever is moved in or out of either direction.

The attached manual is for a 1999, but EZGO dint reinvent the wheel every year like the auto companies did, so it'll be pretty close.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If it is a DCS when it does this check the orange wire at the controller to see if it has pack + voltage. If so you have a wiring issue somewhere.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Deceptive
Not Yet Wild

It is a dcs and I took apart the resister pack and gave a good cleaning. Measured diodes in circuit and they read resister value so I guess I need to take them out to properly measure.
The good news though is that I double checked all connections and put pack back in place and for now seems to fix the issue.

I can tell when it will do it as as soon as I drop switch in reverse I hear the solenoid click if it does it then I am stuck in reverse.
If I do t hear it then I know I am good and all works well.
So hopefully I found the issue with a corroded connection but if it does it again I will measure voltage.
When it does it I can swap white and black and motor changes direction so that is a temp fix.
Time will tell.
Deceptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it turns out to be a failed controller, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS controller.

The stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) is a poor design (no under voltage protection) and fails often. Was only used for about 5 model years before being replaced by the PDS (Curtis 1206MX).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO