lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter issue

I'll try to be brief, but I'm a little frustrated with the prospect of more down time...

1996-7 Club Car

In the heat of the 4th of July when we were using it quite a bit for our little farm it wouldn't start one morning. Tried the jumper pack: no dice. Checked the battery and had to add 80+ ounces of water (120 ounces is a gallon). So, I replaced the battery. That didn't help.

I then pulled the starter and replaced the brushes. That worked, for about 4 days then same issue. However, when I pulled the starter this time, the commutator (or some technical part, with copper teeth that I had sanded before) had lost a tooth Thingy and had trashed my new brushes.

I put on a new starter. I saw some for $120 or $150 but I ordered the $190 thinking, I'll pay more and it will last a long time. That was like July 27th.

Yesterday, it wouldn't start. It's pretty much the same scenario as before. The cart clicks, but nothing. I turn the clutch, and then sometimes it turns over for about 1.5 seconds, but most of the time, it does nothing. Seems like a bad spot in the starter...or am I missing something?

It wouldn't tick me off so bad if the folding seat/bed wasn't such a pain to take off to get to the starter. And even, when I get to the starter, it was in shipping for like 7 to 10 days last time. And even that, I hope the company will send me another one. Arrgh! I'm pretty frustrated. We use it a lot, every day, and down time for an issue I thought was fixed is really baking my beans!

We've had the cart 8+ years. I've done maintenance and other issues as they arise, but this year is really getting to me. (Coil, throttle cable, voltage regulator, Rev limiter, starter solenoid, micro-switches, valve adjustments). It's almost 1300 hours.

Am I missing something with the starter?

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Crack
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Starter issue

The after market starter gens are crap, get your original rebuilt. I did the same thing bought the nicest one I could find and it wouldn’t even keep the battery charged.. also check your grounds make sure they didn’t come loose that will screw with that starter gen badly.
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack View Post
The after market starter gens are crap, get your original rebuilt. I did the same thing bought the nicest one I could find and it wouldn’t even keep the battery charged.. also check your grounds make sure they didn’t come loose that will screw with that starter gen badly.
I wish I hadn't put mine in the trash last week. I thought, "It's worked a few weeks, time to pitch the old one."
Old 08-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You have a bad voltage regulator and its gonna eat whatever starter you put on there.

You fixed the end result, you didnt fix the cause. Regulator is charging the cart at 17 plus volts.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #5
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
You have a bad voltage regulator and its gonna eat whatever starter you put on there.

You fixed the end result, you didnt fix the cause. Regulator is charging the cart at 17 plus volts.
Thank you for this! I had just changed the voltage regulator this year, before my starter issues, but that had not dawned on me. So, I guess I need a new starter and a new voltage regulator. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post

So, can I rebuild my starter/generator after over-volting it? I did a bench test procedure and got nothing. I can't seem to find this answer by googling.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlb7928 View Post
So, can I rebuild my starter/generator after over-volting it? I did a bench test procedure and got nothing. I can't seem to find this answer by googling.

Right in the recycle bin, It should have the smell of death to it.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If it’s a cheapo aftermarket starter it probably just junk to begin with. There’s a few out there that are worth less than the dirt they’re made of.

If your original starter lost a chunk out of the commutator there’s no chance of rebuilding that even if you still had it.

The starter has access covers for the brushes, remove one of those and look inside and see if the commutator is burned and the brushes are toast. If So then voltage regulator could be a possibility but there’s no way to know until you get another working starter generator.

Order from David at Revolution and you won’t get a POS made in covid land.
Just to be clear, there are Good Chinese made starter generators, and even many of the original SG used by Club Car are made in China, but the aftermarket ones you find online for $150 are almost always garbage. Get one from a reputable supplier and you’ll get a quality part that will last. David is a site sponsor, so supporting him helps support us!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car