lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
WILD-BILL
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Talking It"s Alive

Went out ang got a new MSD last night and finally got it back together and out for a test drive.

What I thought was the Gov kickin in must have been the rev limiter becuase I still have the Gov attached yet I'm no longer feeling the cart slow and then pick up. It just goes.

This time I thought to take my GPS with me though. Wish I had done it before so I could know what the improvement was but I know now that I can get it to 30 mph.

Here's a couple shots of the MSD and the coil

And that's with the 1" shorter belt. I'm sure it would be over 30 with the stock belt but with the way this thing will snap your neck when I take off I thnk I'm just gonna leave it and get a set of high speed gears.

Those are gonna have to wait for a while as I need time to get my finances to recover but I really can't wait to get them and see what kind of speed I can get out of it.
WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Default Re: It"s Alive

good to hear your up and goin' WB
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Right onGood to hear...
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Huntr
Not Yet Wild

WOW! Can you post details on the MSD and coil?
Huntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
jdinville3
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

agree with Huntr i'm way curious now... gonna have to use the search button now
jdinville3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
WILD-BILL
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's all standard MSD stuff. Fast Fred sells a kit that has everything plus instructions.

I first tried with the 6AL as I was hoping to use it's rev limiter for protection. Unfortuanatly the rev limiter didn't work.

This one is the standard 6A. I was thinking of trying the Harley MSD as it also has a rev limeter but no time to do the research to see if it would work on a cart. I think it would though and give you a limiter in the process.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD-BILL View Post
It's all standard MSD stuff. Fast Fred sells a kit that has everything plus instructions.

I first tried with the 6AL as I was hoping to use it's rev limiter for protection. Unfortuanatly the rev limiter didn't work.

This one is the standard 6A. I was thinking of trying the Harley MSD as it also has a rev limeter but no time to do the research to see if it would work on a cart. I think it would though and give you a limiter in the process.
That's the one I have. The large one, 6a with a tachometer port. I have a tiny tach alsoI may look into the M$D tach later on.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
WILD-BILL
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Be careful on which tach you get. Most can only be set for 4,6, or 8 cyl engines. These thing fire like a 1 cyl.

I like the tiny tach as it also has an hour meter so I can keep track of maint,

Over the winter I'm gonn look into mounting the tach near the key in the dash.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD-BILL View Post
Be careful on which tach you get. Most can only be set for 4,6, or 8 cyl engines. These thing fire like a 1 cyl.

I like the tiny tach as it also has an hour meter so I can keep track of maint,

Over the winter I'm gonn look into mounting the tach near the key in the dash.
I found that if you have more winds on the plug wire than you're supposed to you'll read more RPM. I had 7 winds (5 is spec'd) and was reading 4900 rpm on my stock MCI motor. I went to 5 and it's at 4000 max. I'm pretty sure 3 winds would read around 3k instead of 4,000 rpm.They should be calibrated after installation using a manual tach and adjusting the winds to match. I won't trust it for motor protection numbers....It is nice to have
Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
WILD-BILL
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have it wound a lot and still only read 5300 RPM (IIRC) while running it in neutral. I'll try different windings and see if I get different readings.

I do know Autometer makes a tach for Jr sragster 1 cyl motors. Might work on these as they both fire at the same time.

For some reason I thought it would rev more than that. Maybe I should start thinking about porting the head, adding a cam, making some headers and going to a bigger carb. That should let it rev a little higher.

We'll see what happens after the gears go in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO