lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
ajwolford
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 G16 reliablity in question...please help

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 1999 g16 and I love it. Last weekend I put a 4 inch lift with some nice x tread tires...couldnt love the look anymore.

I do have some issues I would like to get fixed.

1. Starting off is a pain...I have to work the gas pedal a few times before it picks up and goes...not sure what the deal is with it, but I put a new battery and new belts on it to make sure everything was new. Any suggestions?

2. After riding full throttle for a little bit and stopping, I cant get going again. The motor turns over and sometimes with the choke I can drive about 5 feet then it just sputters and stops. It turns into a reliability issue because on trail rides sometimes I need full throttle and I hate stopping cause I never know if it will leave me sitting.
**Observations
the inline fuel filter was empty when it let me sit, so I lowered it below the fuel pump and it seemed to help

there is a box right behind the battery that has some components in it like a fuse, relay, voltage regulator...well the cover is busted so mud and such gets in there, I dont know what the stuff is in there but maybe someone else can inform me

Last observation---with a mechanical background I thought ignition system, i have not been able to confirm it because it rains everyday here anymore, but it almost seems like when it sits in the damp and wet the problem is more apparent. I thought about replacing the ignition coil but when i got on buggiesunlimited.com they have an ignitor and ignition coil, which would I need and does anyone know how hard they are to replace?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance everyone!

Jake
ajwolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
ajwolford
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 99 G16 reliablity in question...please help

one other thing...When it does stop running, I can throw it in neutral, spray some starter fluid in and it runs great. until the starter fluid is gone, then if I wait an hour it runs like nothing ever happened. I have also noticed than when it is throwing a fit, the fuel filter is empty. My guess is the fuel pump or ignition coil...any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My first guess would be to check all the hoses.Sounds like the fuel pump is not working all the time.I would first replace all the old fuel lines and the line from the pump to motor for the pulse signal.
Definately sounds like fuel related
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
devast8ing
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I would probably do a little maintenace before I started buying parts. You said you recently purchased the cart, is the gas fresh? I would change all the gas lines, clean the carb and give it a tune up. A new fuel filter might just do the trick. Also check the 90 degree fitting on top of the gas tank that the fuel line attaches to. I had a small hairline crack in mine before and my cart gave me fits till I found it, a little superglue over the crack and cart ran great again.
devast8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Did the hard starting issue begin after the lift and tires?
I would also suggest starting with the fuel system.
Clean the tank, check tank vent, might be clogged, replace fuel lines and pump pulse hose, remove carb and clean it real good.
Also pay close attention when reassembling the air filter box, any small air leaks will cause it to run lean and have those symtoms you describe.
I had a G16 that I put a lift and tires on and had to adjust the carb float up just a little to get more fuel in the bowl, do the system cleaning before you try that.

Get or make a cover for your electrical compartment. Mud, water and electricity don't mix.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
bullittman
Not Yet Wild

When I first got my cart I went through and cleaned everything up took out that old gas put in new gas and drive it like crazy for a whole day. Then right at the end of the day I started having issues that sound just like yours. When I finally got it back to the house I took the bowl off the carb and couldn't believe the crap that was in there. I would definitely start by looking at the fuel system.
bullittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
thecurti
The G8 wrecking ball

Yamaha

Dang I wanted to answer, but Cash is spot on. In my opinion
thecurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
ajwolford
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone! I think I have the stalling issue fixed! I went to auto zone...bought all new fuel lines, fuel filter and carb cleaner. Came home...replaced them all, tore apart the fuel pump and cleaned it...runs like crazy now.

The hard start issue...that has been since I got it...when you start you have to pump the gas peddle a little to get it turning over but now that this is all done, I pull the choke a little and off we go! Thanks for everyone's help I really appreciated it. I get it painted this weekend with my Tapout Decals...I will post picture next week.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwolford View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I have the stalling issue fixed! I went to auto zone...bought all new fuel lines, fuel filter and carb cleaner. Came home...replaced them all, tore apart the fuel pump and cleaned it...runs like crazy now.

The hard start issue...that has been since I got it...when you start you have to pump the gas peddle a little to get it turning over but now that this is all done, I pull the choke a little and off we go! Thanks for everyone's help I really appreciated it. I get it painted this weekend with my Tapout Decals...I will post picture next week.
Glad you got it worked out.with the age of these carts the fuel lines don't take long to deteriorate.sound like the either the pump was sucking air or wasn't getting a strong enough signal to move fuel.lots of great help here.now bring on the pics.
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman View Post
When I first got my cart I went through and cleaned everything up took out that old gas put in new gas and drive it like crazy for a whole day. Then right at the end of the day I started having issues that sound just like yours. When I finally got it back to the house I took the bowl off the carb and couldn't believe the crap that was in there. I would definitely start by looking at the fuel system.
This is why when I suggest pulling and cleaning the carb, I also suggest the whole system from tank to carb.
And also checking the gas can you fill your cart with.

Why take the time to clean your carb if the tank is going to fill it right back up with water/trash!
Do it right the first time and don't look back.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha