lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
1999flhrci
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question Gas G16 Yammi Battery

What is the group number for the correct battery in my gas Yamaha? It had a car battery (24F) in it that went bad. Just want to replace it with the right one.
1999flhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas G16 Yammi Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999flhrci View Post
What is the group number for the correct battery in my gas Yamaha? It had a car battery (24F) in it that went bad. Just want to replace it with the right one.
Group 24 and I'd recommend 550 or more CCA rating.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
1999flhrci
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, that's about what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would also recommend that you look for a battery that allows access to the individual cells. Some "maintenance free batteries" do not allow access to the cells without doing major surgery!!! The reason I recommend this is that if your voltage regulator ever goes bad and allows full generator output into your battery, the electrolyte will go down. If that happens, you can add distilled water and still have a serviceable battery after the charging system is fixed. I say this because I experienced exactly that scenario and had to replace my battery because I couldn't get into the cells to add water. Actually, I discovered the problem because my battery went dead after (who knows how long this overcharging was going on) and the battery couldn't be revived. I replaced mine with a boat starting battery from WalMart & it's working fine. Hope this helps - Good Luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
1999flhrci
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanx, Ray, maybe I need to check that first thing after I replace it. It's about 5 years old and I've had to charge it a couple of times this past winter. Maybe it's just time for a new battery huh? Thanx for the reply.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yup, 5 years on a battery is about what you get. I think that checking the charging system would be a good thing to do after you put in the new battery, or, you could also do it before and it's simple & quick to do. Just hook up a voltmeter across the battery terminals and take a ride while watching voltage on the meter. Make sure you are not crushing the voltmeter leads with the seat while you are doing this. Voltage across the battery while running should be 14.5v. to 15.5v. Voltage of a fully charged battery after sitting all night should be 12.6 - 12.8v. I've read here on the forum that this voltage on carts with the solid state regulators can run higher than the 15.5 volts and still be ok (but not sure about this). If outside these limits something could be wrong. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha