lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #21
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: The build of Pops and Sonny

That sounds like a plan,,,don't let the boy flip it over
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

POPS got legs!!!!!!

got the old boy running today (DELA there is hope) new batteries, new cables, new FNR, lots of elbo grease and i have a hunk of junk cart running.

Just did one victory lap, let the kids have a very sort ride. now he is getting his full charge on.

Feels great to have one going, after removing all the wires and electrical, all i had to do was follow the wiring diagram, and a volt meter and got him all hooked up on the first try.

thanks to all who have helped. there is no way i could have done it without BGW.

Now, on the the real Project... Sonny will be a full on frame off build, not going for a perfect cart but will be a stout daily driver. i think i need a beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg done.jpg (5.1 KB, 0 views)
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

congrats
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pops got to stretch his legs a bit today. Ran him down to 37.2v and put him back on charge. He is getting a new solenoid tomorrow, as his old one has heat issues.

Took a few pics, look at the atriculation on that bad boy! The one by the tree house is Pops showing is youthful side.

Will be spending about 4 hours this weekend tightening nuts and bolts and replacing the many missing ones. This cart shakes, rattles, and rolls down the street.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-03 14.26.40.jpg (292.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-03 14.27.41.jpg (248.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
D-A
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiltz View Post
Pops got to stretch his legs a bit today. Ran him down to 37.2v and put him back on charge. He is getting a new solenoid tomorrow, as his old one has heat issues.

Took a few pics, look at the atriculation on that bad boy! The one by the tree house is Pops showing is youthful side.
Will be spending about 4 hours this weekend tightening nuts and bolts and replacing the many missing ones. This cart shakes, rattles, and rolls down the street.

Enjoy.
Like father, like son! After all the tightening and new nuts/bolts, probably will feel like son!
Nice quick work!
D-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, here it goes...

Sonny is on the surgical table. Got most of the rear body removed. Will remove the front tomorrow. going pretty smooth so far.

2 newbe tips:
1. do all you can to break the heads off rust bolts. Once the nut strips on the bolt they must be cut off.
2. get LOTS of bits for removing the rivets. Also be very careful not to heat up the rivets. this will melt your plastic and make the replacement rivets useless.
bonus tip: see that can with the yellow cap? its called PB blaster, it is your best friend. get a whole case.

more tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-07 19.48.08.jpg (376.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-07 19.48.33.jpg (408.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-07 19.48.46.jpg (393.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I go Sonny torn down to compare the frames for transplant. Just a reminder i am putting a pre 2001.5 under a 2003 everything else. The main issue is the steering support. Not a big problem, if mine wasnt so rusted i would just cut it out the put it in the old frame. however i think i will just make a new one and have fresh metal. one reason for this is the vertical frame support is in the wrong place, off about an inch. Rather than move it ill just make my new Steering support a little longer the add the missing right side support.

The next big issue is the shock mounts up front the pre holes are 1.5" more inward that the post frame. not a big deal to move but im am just going to leave it. i dont see why 3/4" inward will be a big deal for shock mounting.

the last major issue is the rear cowl support. look in the rear axle hoop you will see the post frame has an additional support, that the pre frame had attached to the battery tray. i will either cut off and reuse the support from the post frame or use angle iron to replace the support. other that that the frames are identical. shouldnt be a big deal to complete.

floor pans are identical but front sub floor is different. on the post frame it is plastic and metal on the pre, wouldn't be hard to replicate if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-08 12.54.12.jpg (426.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-08 12.53.21.jpg (314.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-08 12.54.22.jpg (464.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Frankinstine's table. funny enough it is lightening for broke right now so i do feel like Dr Frankinstine.

This amount of rust is normal, right...

Should you try this? HELL NO. To any Newb like me looking to get a cart to work on, get a cart in good shape. Wait a little longer, save a little more, and look for a rust free cart. If you plan on mods and none of the electronics work, thats ok! But i would never work on a cart with this much rust again, or even half as much rust. The true cost of doing this is way beyond what starting with a good cart would cost you. I was very lucky and got almost 2 complete carts, in addition to Pops and Sonny, for very cheap, and Pops and Sonny were free. So i have lots of parts to pick from, that is the only reason i can do this on any type of budget. i guess the bottom line is "Dont try this at home". (unless you REALLY want to)

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-08 12.53.36.jpg (457.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-08 12.53.52.jpg (448.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice pics. Those days were just a couple months ago for me. Fear not. Things do get better and the personal satisfaction is the real reward.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If anyone was wondering, you can turn a pre 2001.5 frame into a post 2001.5 frame for an ezgo txt. And, it is rather easy (if you have a donor frame). I cut the steering support for the rusty frame and attached it to the pre frame. Had to add the right side support, I just used 1" angle. Doing it this way meant I didnt have to get all my holes straight for the steering to bolt on correctly. I also cut out the rear cowl supports from the post frame and attahced them to the pre frame.

It only took about 2 hours as was really pretty easy all you really need is a cut off wheel (ok several cut off wheels) and a welder.

Now to see if it all goes back together! If not, Cut and Move! I am 99% sure it will work.

Check out that front end! Looks like i may have an allignment issue to work out Oh well, will get that straight this weekend.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-10 20.12.33.jpg (138.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-10 20.12.06.jpg (131.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-10 20.11.46.jpg (114.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-10 20.15.05.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-10 20.15.28.jpg (153.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO