lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Default dash mounted toggle for speed chip not working?

I just got done installing two toggle switches on the dash. I cut each wire from my red speed chip, extended the wire to each toggle switch. Took it for a test ride and cant notice any difference. Question is stock vs freedom chip, is there a big difference, i know it gets rid of regen braking, can u feel the regen braking when u let off pedal? Cause i dont feel anything, coast feels the same. Goal was to be able to turn off speed chip on hilly ruff ground to get some regen braking and possible a slight torque gain. On a side note i moved run/ tow switch to dash also by just extending wires to dash and reinstalling switch up there, works great, no more lifting seat to disarm system.
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: dash mounted toggle for speed chip not working?

My PDS came with the All Terain mode. I put the Steep hill plug in. I can't tell much diff from the seat of my pants. I also doubt it I could tell the diff with the Freedom mode from 14 to 18 mph from the seat of the pants. The only way to check speed is with a GPS. You can also hook up a multi meter to the batt pack and watch what it does when you let off of the pedal to see if you get regen.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I installed a switch into the center wire on my freedom plug to give me mild hill along with freedom mode. There is a definite and noticeable difference between the two modes. I can feel the regen. kick in on the mild hill and the speed difference is definitely noticeable between the two modes. (wife accused me of "breaking" our cart !!) I'm not 100% sure, but I think you must put the run/tow switch into tow before changing modes, then after switching modes, put cart back into "run". This then "reboots" the controller for the selected mode. Others can correct me if I'm wrong here. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have been looking at this setup on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-SPEED-C...ht_3354wt_1274 . They don't explain exactly how it works, but my understanding of the PDS system is that you would have to go through the reprogram process every time you want to switch modes. Somebody please confirm, but I don't see how you could just switch modes on demand.

The switch only allows you to be able to switch modes without having to take the the cover off the controller and manually switch out the "chip". It is only a time saving device and not an on demand changer. I may be completely wrong, but that is how I see it.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you have a PDS/VPS controller (Part# 609083), you can change PDS modes on the fly, but if you have the standard PDS controller, you have to stop, flip Run/Tow switch from Run to Tow, toggle the PDS mode switch, wait a moment and then Back to Run to change PDS modes.

Since torque is determined by current flow through the motor and the controller limits it to 300A (or 350A in later versions) in all PDS modes, the difference between modes is top speed and the amount of regen braking.

I use a SPST switch in the jumper between J2 Pins 2&3 to give me the option of using either the Freedom or the Mild Hill mode.
I simply tie-wrapped the switch to a heavy cable near the controller cover and have to lift the seat to change modes, but it works for my needs.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO