lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Default Deep Discharge Recovery (I've committed Battery Abuse)

Had to take my 96 TXT apart to get some suspension welding done. I didn't reall like the idea of an arc welder at work with the controller still on board, and as with many "have to's" they turn into excuses to tackle a few "Want to's", so cart was apart (meaning batteries were not charged) for just over a month.

I bought the cart about 3 days before, and actually have no idea the state of charge before I took the cart apart (I'm new, be gentle).

So, got her back in running condition yesterday, cart moved about 5 feet and stopped on the batts that had just been re-installed in the cart. Nothing at all strange (i.e. no smoke, nothing hot) during re-install, and re connection of wiring. I think the voltage reading was about 30.5v (yes 30.5)

I hooked up a PowerWise that seems to do a good job charging my other cart. Batteries boiled properly and it shut off in about 5 hours. The reading is now 36.8 to 36.9 (DVM flutters). Individual batts read about 6.1 to 6.2.

IIRC, 36.8 to 36.9 is 65% or so. I haven't done any load testing and have no idea how long the cart will run as it sits. Besides buying new batts, is there anything to be done?

BTW: Did lots of searching about this, and I found many descriptions of it situation, but no advice on what to do next. Not even a lot of "U R Screwed - go buy new batts"...
KY Gun Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Deep Discharge Recovery (I've committed Battery Abuse)

Check water levels. then recharge, let it set for 12 hours and recharge it again. Lots of charge and shallow discharge.... they should come back ok. oNe month is not so long as to do a lot of damage , they may have been old or weak before?

For everybody else who is planning on removing the batts from your cart for a little work, recharge them before you remove them, that way you have a least a month without worry.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Battery abuse of such magnitude warrants 50 lashes with 600 strand 2ga welding cable, but since you are new to carts, you can partake of a few ounces of the local corn squeezin's first.

Charge the livin' daylights out of them.
Restart charger when it shuts off. Do that two or three times a day.
Recharge after short drives.
Keep close eye on electrolyte level. (Use distilled water only - Tap water kills batteries)

When I got my cart, the batteries were only 18 months old, but hadn't been well maintained, so they would only charge to about 85%. After a couple months of doing what I described above, I got them up to to about 95% and after a year of keeping them as fully charged as possible, I'm getting about 98%.

A couple weeks ago, I made six four mile trips and stayed above 50% SoC.
Of course, half the trips were downhill and I was using Regen braking so I recovered some energy, but it drove my friends with CCs crazy.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Check water levels. then recharge, let it set for 12 hours and recharge it again. Lots of charge and shallow discharge.... they should come back ok. oNe month is not so long as to do a lot of damage , they may have been old or weak before?

For everybody else who is planning on removing the batts from your cart for a little work, recharge them before you remove them, that way you have a least a month without worry.
Batts could very well have been marginal. This cart came from the same guy who had the PW charger that wouldn't shut off (if you remember my other posts).

I did check water, and topped everything up before I started charging. None were low enough that the plates were out of the water, but some were close.

So my plan is to run it a few minutes every day and then put it back on the charger.

I have been using my DVM to take readings, but I have one of your meters. I think it is going in the dash this evening.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Battery abuse of such magnitude warrants 50 lashes with 600 strand 2ga welding cable, but since you are new to carts, you can partake of a few ounces of the local corn squeezin's first.

Charge the livin' daylights out of them.
Restart charger when it shuts off. Do that two or three times a day.
Recharge after short drives.
Keep close eye on electrolyte level. (Use distilled water only - Tap water kills batteries)

When I got my cart, the batteries were only 18 months old, but hadn't been well maintained, so they would only charge to about 85%. After a couple months of doing what I described above, I got them up to to about 95% and after a year of keeping them as fully charged as possible, I'm getting about 98%.

A couple weeks ago, I made six four mile trips and stayed above 50% SoC.
Of course, half the trips were downhill and I was using Regen braking so I recovered some energy, but it drove my friends with CCs crazy.
There are lots of makers of fine spirits in the area. Woodford Reserve is my everyday choice. Blanton's (the one with the little pewter horse on the top) is my special occasion choice. Did you know that the distillers are selling white dog at the liquor store? Stuff comes right off the top of the still and into a bottle. It is cut down to like 120proof (some regulation about that, lol). It actually burns blue - pretty good stuff.

I hear ya on the water levels. I am going to get a hydrometer this afternoon and see if I can keep some good records about this...

Good to hear that not all is lost.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm facing the same problem. I bought a cart yesterday that had been sitting for a long time without being charged. The batts on mine are 2009 but they were pretty much dead. I have been charging them for about 24 hours now. I hope they come back to life.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would suggest following " scottyb's " battery break in procedure. This really helped my abused and neglected batteries! Also I recommend to read all his articles about batteries that are in the menu. Good reading, and I'll guarantee you'll learn something!
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO