lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
tennsion
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO w/12V Batteries

Am new here and have my first cart. It's an EZGO, older model (something around mid-90's I think) and is equipped with three 12V batteries. I know nothing...yet...about how these things work but am wondering about it having the three 12v batteries rather than six 6v batteries. All equals 36V total but need opinions on this! I don't yet know much about the cart, just got it this evening and haven't looked it over very well yet. It has no charger with it (I'm looking for one) but temporarily I can charge the three batteries separately (what a pain) with a standard charger.

It was going to be scrapped and I was able to buy it at a good price (I hope) and would like to make it right/nice over time. The three batteries in it are new, but are labeled "seconds".

How's this setup going to work?

tennsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO w/12V Batteries

Even if those are 3 of the best 12v golf cart batteries made you are going to be short on amperage storage..... amperage is what the motor consumes as it runs. I doubt they are GC batteries, we usually see car or boat batteries in this situation. Anyway it's okay for short trips and the short haul, really good for testing, don't get too far away from home with it until you learn just how well it can do on the 3/12s.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you are like most cart owners, you won't be satisfied with your cart's performance and run time with a 3x12V battery pack for very long, so plan ahead when buying a 36V charger.

Problem is that the highest Amp-Hour 12V cart batteries are only about 170AH while most 36V chargers are designed with standard 6V-225AH cart batteries in mind. Fortunately, some chargers have user selectable charge profiles and will charge lower AH batteries without being too harsh on them and still be able to charge higher AH batteries in a reasonable length of time by selecting different charge profiles.

I use one of the 36V DPI chargers Scottyb sells, which has user selectable charge profiles as well as ending up in a float charge mode, and I love it.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Full disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with Carts Unlimited or Diversified Power International (DPI), just a very satisfied customer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you are like most cart owners, you won't be satisfied with your cart's performance and run time with a 3x12V battery pack for very long, so plan ahead when buying a 36V charger.

Problem is that the highest Amp-Hour 12V cart batteries are only about 170AH while most 36V chargers are designed with standard 6V-225AH cart batteries in mind. Fortunately, some chargers have user selectable charge profiles and will charge lower AH batteries without being too harsh on them and still be able to charge higher AH batteries in a reasonable length of time by selecting different charge profiles.

I use one of the 36V DPI chargers Scottyb sells, which has user selectable charge profiles as well as ending up in a float charge mode, and I love it.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Full disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with Carts Unlimited or Diversified Power International (DPI), just a very satisfied customer.

Satisfied customer is affiliated in my book
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Satisfied customer is affiliated in my book
I stand corrected.

More correctly stated disclosure:
My affiliation with Carts Unlimited is limited to being a repeatedly satisfied customer and some occasional light hearted razzing on this forum.
And my affiliation to DPI is limited to being satisfied with one of their products.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

JohnnieB, are you a lawyer ??
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
JohnnieB, are you a lawyer ??
No, I did honest labor before I retired.
But there are seven letters behind my name on my old business cards, one group of three and the other a group of four.
Neither group starts with a P or ends with a D, but there are a couple E's

I've been repairing, or causing to be repaired, electronic and electro-mechanical devices for over 50 years and medical equipment for the last 35, which is very exacting and very litigious, so I do have more than a passing acquaintance with Tort Law and the legal profession, but out of necessity rather than vocation.

Fortunately, the expensive errors in judgement I've made over the years (a.k.a. experience) dovetails nicely with EZGO electric golf carts, at least at theoretical levels.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You're not a P.E.?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You're not a P.E.?
Nope. Followed a different certification/registration/licensure path. (International Certification Commission)

Here is a fairly good description of what I did before I retired.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_engineering

I find it both sad and amusing that the profession I retired from (Clinical Engineering), is now being called Healthcare Technology Management.
However, neither name adequately describes the scope of the field.

Take a moment to consider the fact that aspect of all engineering disciplines are found in the myriad of medical devices that exist today, then toss in the often conflicting statutory regulations of FDA, NFPA, AEC and EPA, plus local, state and federal laws and then mix in architecture, logistic and accounting, as well as HR stuff if you manage employees.

Theoretical troubleshooting of EZGO Golf Carts, is a lot less stressful.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Theoretical troubleshooting of EZGO Golf Carts, is a lot less stressful.
Sometimes!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO