lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What would make this sound?

My cart has developed a new loud sound in the back when I go over a bump (of which I go over lots of!). It sounds like the click you get when you engage the controller, but much louder. Would this be a shock going bad?
Sorry for my ignorance. Is there anything that would be obvious I should look for underneath? Nothing is broken and dragging on the ground.
Is it okay to ride it until I get someone to look at it?

Thanks!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What would make this sound?

When is the service tech comin?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, probably not for a little while. I just emailed the service department to find out how it works. I'm thinking they might not answer me until next week. I was hoping to wait until September/Oct when it might be cooler. We're in a horrible drought with unusually high temps. and I didn't want him to be too uncomfortable. But now that I'm hearing that sound, I think I'd better have him come sooner.

I'll be so relieved to have someone finally give it a good check-up. I imagine its not going to be cheap though. But I don't care. That cart is so important to me, I don't mind spending what I need to, to get it in good shape.

Once he does come though.......I'll be sure to let you know what they do. Hopefully, he'll be good at what he does!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Since it happens when you go over a bump it COULD be related to the suspension... and it could be making a click noise because something broke, like a U bolt, a spring, a shackle, a shock, any number of things....
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
My cart has developed a new loud sound in the back when I go over a bump (of which I go over lots of!). It sounds like the click you get when you engage the controller, but much louder. Would this be a shock going bad?
Sorry for my ignorance. Is there anything that would be obvious I should look for underneath? Nothing is broken and dragging on the ground.
Is it okay to ride it until I get someone to look at it?

Thanks!
Seeing that this could possibly be a safety issue, I wouldn't use the cart until it's looked at! The noise may be as simple as a bad shock absorber bushing, or as bad as a broken spring.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty and Simpleman.
Would I be able to see a broken spring by just leaning over and looking underneath?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The springs are stacked leafs, it takes a close inspection and sometimes dis-assembly to find a break, but this definitely warrants a look see, heck you might find something simple? Grab both shocks and give them a heave ho.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty.
What would make it unsafe to drive, if it were the springs?
I guess my hearing is too acute. My husband has trouble even hearing it, but its really obvious to me. Hopefully its just something little that a little grease will take care of.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I've figured out where the clicking is coming from........the driver's side spring where it attaches to .....something.??
Maybe a bad bushing? I don't really know what I'm talking about.......but I found this You Tube video that's great in showing how to replace the springs. And I learned about leaf springs. No wonder I couldn't find my springs.........I was looking for the helical ones! duh!
Could a bad bushing cause the clicking on bumps?
What exactly are the function of bushings? On the video, they just looked like tubes.

Also........just by looking at my springs, can I tell if they are worn out........like if they don't have much arch in them anymore?
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I figured out what bushings are used for. I guess they are rubber-type tubes. I was thinking they were metal, and that didn't makes sense.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO