lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Default Western Anthem ?

A local dealer has a Western Anthem for sale ($3300). He claims this is a 2003 TXT, modified by Western to be street legal. He'll throw in a set of new Centennials. It has a 42 V DC motor and looks to be in fair shape.

The street legal part could be useful. Question is, can it get up the hill? And is it worth the ask?
virtualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Western Anthem ?

I'm not familiar with that cart. Used? Year?

Assuming it's used...

Prices vary a lot, so check Craigs List and any other classified ads to get a feel for what they're selling for in your area. Carts' stock features also vary a lot, and any mods also affect the cost.

As to whether it can climb a hill, I would test drive it. Drive it hard and try out the brakes, and note how much slop is in the steering. Look at the zerks and see if it looks like they have ever been greased. Look at the condition of the battery cables.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

From what I've been able to determine, Western (and Lido) put a custom built body on an EZGO chassis, add bells and whistles, and sell them at boutique prices.
Here is a link: http://lidomotorsusa.com/

However, I Googled "Western Anthem golf cart" and came up with this: http://www.westerngolfcar.com/pages/2002web/anthem.htm

That appears to be a relatively stock TXT Freedom body with some lipstick and mascara added and the drive system upgraded to 42V.

Except for all the accessories and cosmetic stuff, that is what I'm doing to my 2008 PDS and if it comes with a new set of seven 6V batteries (220 AH or greater), a working 42V automatic charger and is in reasonably good mechanical and electrical condition, it might be worth the asking price.

Since it is street legal, it probably does 25MPH, which means they probably started with a PDS drive system. That doesn't have as much low end torque as a Series drive, but at 42V it should do okay on hills unless it has really tall tires on it. Also, it might have the optional 7HP motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The drive system on a street cart is not going to be suitable for off road hill climbing, if that's what you mean...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again, JohhnieB. I think you've nailed it, a TXT with extras. I saw a post earlier that showed the differences between the PDS and DCS motors. I'll look for that. Does it matter? And how do I determine if it's a 7 or 3 HP motor?

Low torque would be a deal breaker. More than street speed, I need the cart to haul things up my scraped pathways. Again, no more than 150 yards, no more than 25-30 degree slope at its worst, all dirt. The TXT will have a differential that slips, yes? (Not sure of the nomenclature - not a non-slip or limited slip diff)

scottyb, I'm not looking for off road capabilities, just moving materiel up and down dirt paths as described above.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the cart's primary mission is hauling loads up a 20° to 30° incline for about 150 yards, a cart with a series wound motor would be better suited for it.

The Western Anthem would probably be able to climb the hill at max GVW, but it probably wouldn't like a steady diet of it and might rebel by burning out the controller and/or motor.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The Western Anthem would probably be able to climb the hill at max GVW, but it probably wouldn't like a steady diet of it and might rebel by burning out the controller and/or motor.
Anything I can do to help it up the hill? Bigger cables? Stronger controller? ??
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualy View Post
Anything I can do to help it up the hill? Bigger cables? Stronger controller? ??
Yes, but with bigger cables and a stronger controller, the motor becomes the weak link in the chain, however there is the question of which motor you have.

I'm a retired Clinical Engineer that reads schematics pretty well, hands out free troubleshooting advice and regurgitates some electrical theory every now and then, so you'd probably be better off consulting with someone that builds carts for a living.

That said, what I'm putting together might be close to what you are looking for.
Seven 245AH 6V batteries for 42Vm, 2Ga silver soldered cables throughout (all 11 high current cables), Alltrax DCX400A-PDS controller, 400A continuous/1000A peak solenoid and stock height tires (almost at least - 18.3" vs 17.4" originally on it).

If you have the optional 7HP motor, you could go the a DCX500A controller.
There should be a label on the motor saying what it is, or at least it ought to have a model or part number.

Or if it is the smaller motor, a DCX500A could be turned down to 400A and not burn the motor burn the motor up.

Bottom line: It is doable, but is doing it cost effective?
What I'm saying is that you may have to replace everything in the drive system except the batteries and it might be less expensive to find a less expensive cart and build it into what you need or want.

My advice is to shoot scottyb a PM or E-mail and discuss the possibilities.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not looking for off road capability just hauling (heavy) materials up a 30 degree slope on unimproved roads?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That model cart came with a high speed fleet series motor upgrade and 400 amp curtis controller. It was also issued with a vin no. So much easy to get registered
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO