lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 EZ GO consumes batteries

I am on my 3rd set of batteries in about 18 months. With a new set the cart is fast, and I can easily complete two rounds of golf without charging. The current set was about 8 months old when it started failing after about 16-17 holes. I have never run them completely down, rarely more than one round (maybe twice) without charging. Check water level regularly, never got low. I play golf 4-6 times a week, so lots of usage. I purchased 3 new batts and changed out the one that the hydrometer said were less than perfect, (1250-1275 in one cell on each batt). I got slight improvement. Had a friend take the 3 removed batts to an auto shop where they load tested and used a hydrometer and all tested fine. I am currently swapping out one of each of the old three with the three one at a time to see if one is bad. I guess I am wondering if my motor or controller could be bad causing an excessive battery drain. I have done lots of testing with my meter, and turned off it drains .05 amp, the same as another EZ GO I tested. Any ideas?
seanmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
sdc19982002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZ GO consumes batteries

Not an expert on here at all, but have you checked for brakes dragging. i would jack up the cart and spin the wheels to make sure. Thats all I have, good luck
sdc19982002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Please provide as much information about your batteries as you can. Brand name, model or model number etc. Pictures would help.

Rear wheels are directly connected to the motor through the differential so brake drag can't be checked by jacking it up. With hill brake off, cart should roll fairly easily when pushing by hand. Make sure you do this on a paved, level surface because if it gets away from you its not catchable.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

The current batteries are from Costco. I am told they are made by Interstate and are the equivalent of the GC1. When I got the cart about three years ago it had Trojan 105s in it. They lasted just over a year. Then another set of Costco, lasted about a year, and the current set. I also changed out all the battery interconnect cables a few days ago. I haven't yet changed the cables from the controller.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is you cart a PDS, or does it have a series wound motor?
Stock controller?
What size tires are on it?
What is the Amp-Hour rating of the batteries?
What battery charger are you using?
How often do you charge the batteries?
What is the battery pack voltage before you take cart out to play?
What is the battery pack voltage when cart starts failing?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

This is what I know so far:
The cart is PDS, stock as far as I know.
The tires are stock, and say 18X8.50
The charger is a power wise, stock as far as I know.
I charge the cart after every use.
The picture tells what Costco says about the batteries.
The voltage after a full charge is 39 for the full bank, 6.5-6.9 on each individual battery.
I will get the discharged voltage this afternoon.
I appreciate the help and the interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteries.jpg (199.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

The cart pushes easily, and when I jacked it up, the front wheels spun freely, and the rear wheels turned with minimal resistance from the motor and gears.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's possible your charger is not doing a good job.

Also those are minimal batteries, 200 ah?

Fully charged the pack should reach 44-46 volts...... 12 hours after the charger shuts off the pack should hold over 38v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
seanmuldoon
Not Yet Wild

Plugged in a buddies identical charger a few nights ago, I will find that out today. I tried it once before for one night, and noticed a very slight difference.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't know of a single automotive shop that can properly load test golf cart batteries due to vast difference in auto and GC battery construction, capacity and draws needed to be reproduced to test.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO