lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Resistor cart coil question

Hey guys!

I just picked up an 89 Marathon resistor cart for my son. I am fixing it up for this 16th birthday to drive around until he gets his full license, and keep him off of mine! (ha ha) I will be starting on the build This week and will get pics and start a thread when I get something to show.

Here's my off the wall question..... I have heard of the heat issues that the coils have and was wondering If I double up the coils would that resist the heat? What I mean is I got 2 sets of coils with this cart. if I put both sets on hooking them up parallel, would this cut the heat or just slow the cart down? I know if you run longer coils it would, and that's not the goal. My son will be using this as a hunting buggy and was trying to keep the heat down. since he will be in tall grass. Is this a feasible idea or am I just worrying about nothing?

Let me know

Thanks in advance

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart coil question

Disclaimer:
I don't have a resister cart, and haven't spent much time studying them, but they seem to work similarly to other things I do in my garage to limit power.

The coils are actually resistors. Think of them like heating elements on your stove. They convert electrical power into heat.

If you connect resisters in parallel, you end up with lower resistance. It's a somewhat complicated formula, but if both resistances are the same, your resistance is half.

If you do this, you'll be defeating the coil's ability to dissipate heat alright, and I assume each step on the throttle will be faster, so I'm guessing you'd go faster than you might like on low ends.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Converting it to a controller cart might be the best answer is it is going to be used it tall grass.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...rsion_Kit.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Plus I'd guess you'd get much longer run times if you do a lot of slow driving.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks guys.

Johnny B I want to convert it over, but due to the budget and the time restrictions, I will have to run it as it is until it's given to him then I will go the route. I thought this was going to be the only route but I thought I would ask since I had the stuff laying here and I could use it quickly.

thanks again!

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

What a great Dad!

I agree with JohnnieB. Convert it with Scottyb's stuff. You will not go wrong.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO