lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Excessive Voltage Draw, 96 txt

If the charger's max output voltage is high enough, letting the charger run longer should get the on-charge voltage to go higher.

Once it is getting into the 46.8V range, getting it up there again probably won't take as long the next time.

-------------
You've got the relay bypassed in the charger, so it turns on without being plugged into cart.
What is the voltage at the charger output plug when not connected to cart.

That would be the maximum possible voltage the charger could raise the battery pack's on-charge voltage to, but it will be lower than that in actual operation because the open circuit voltage will drop as soon as any current flows through the transformer's secondary.

-------------
Also, with the transformer leads disconnected from the diodes, what is the transformer voltage (VAC) with and without capacitor connected.
Should be about 90VAC and 60VAC respectively.
Here is a drawing showing you how to do it.

If the capacitor is out of tolerance, the max output voltage will be low.

----------
Of course, getting an automatic charger that has a charge profile tailored for US Batteries would be easier than using your existing charger manually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #22
haligen
Not Yet Wild

with cap leads off diodes 90v ac
without cap leads off diodes 68v ac
charger plug disconnected from cart 44.4v dc
cap voltage charger on not connected to cart 259v ac
cap voltage charger on connected to cart 247v ac

Now I did check the charger port with my cheapie greenlea meter and it showed 41.5v dc but then I checked it with my Fluke 77 and the fluke showed 44.4v dc . I double checked all other voltages with both meters and on the ac side they read the same. I guess I'll trust the fluke over the lowes special.
haligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB
I would like to check out my powerwise charger also, especially the capacitor, but I am a little confused, please clarify a few things.
you said to remove the leads from the diodes, is that where you take the voltage readings?
I guess with the capacitor disconnected the transformer should read about 60 VAC
and with it connected 90 VAC
also you show the capacitor showing 480 VAC in figure 1, I take it that is with it hooked up?
any clarification would be greatly appreciated
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The unloaded DC voltage (44.4V) is lower than I expected, but ferroresonant transformers put out a weird wave-shape and the rectified DC output not being connected to a battery, or other filtering device, might give some strange voltage readings.

Obviously, the voltage does get higher since you saw the pack voltage reach 45.3V.

I think the PW 28115 is working normally, but the max voltage output isn't high enough to fully charge US Battery golf cart batteries.
Other than that, I believe you did everything right. Your battery care routine is far better than most and the root cause of the battery problem is so subtle that nobody noticed it before now.

This is secondhand info, but an engineer at US Battery stated they had worked with DPI to come up with the correct charging algorithm for their batteries.

With a battery charger that does meet US Battery charging requirements, and some TLC, you might still get a few years out of those batteries.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenfish16 View Post
JohnnieB
I would like to check out my powerwise charger also, especially the capacitor, but I am a little confused, please clarify a few things.
you said to remove the leads from the diodes, is that where you take the voltage readings?
I guess with the capacitor disconnected the transformer should read about 60 VAC
and with it connected 90 VAC
also you show the capacitor showing 480 VAC in figure 1, I take it that is with it hooked up?
any clarification would be greatly appreciated
Connect your AC voltmeter test leads to the two wires that were disconnected from the diodes.
Should be about 60VAC with capacitor disconnected and about 90VAC with it connected.
(The capacitor boosts the transformer output voltage)

The 480VAC is the voltage on the wires going to the capacitor, when they are disconnected from the capacitor.
(It is under 300VAC when they are connected to the capacitor.)

Be careful with the capacitor, it will knock you down even when it isn't connected.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just curious what the diodes do and why you disconnect the wires from them to check the voltage. Just trying to learn
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenfish16 View Post
Just curious what the diodes do and why you disconnect the wires from them to check the voltage. Just trying to learn
The diodes convert (rectify) the AC (Alternating Current) output from the transformer into the DC (Direct Current) needed to charge batteries.

The purpose of the test is to check the output voltage of a special type of transformer (ferroresonant) with a specifically matched capacitor attached to a separate secondary winding, and disconnecting the transformer output leads from the diodes, isolates the transformer and capacitor pair from any influence the diodes and everything else further downstream has on that voltage.

If it was a regular full-wave rectifier circuit rather than a ferroresonant transformer design, removing the lead wires from the diodes would be an option rather than requirement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO