lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
jesmitch
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZGO PDS 36V Stock Problem

The golf cart was due for new batteries so I purchased some new Trojans along with a 2 gauge set of cables. I changed out the cables from the motor to the controller one by one so not to get them mixed up. I then replaced the two cables from the controller to the batteries, again, doing so one at a time so not to get them mixed up. I put in the new batteries, had it in tow the whole time, and tightened everything up. When I flipped the switch from tow to run, there was a sizzle noise and I flipped the switch back. I double checked everything and all was well. I even looked at an identical cart to make sure I had all hooked up right and I did. I flipped the switch again and there was a little sizzle noise again from the controller area. After this, the noise stopped. I had the cover over the controller when I washed out the inside compartment before I put the new batteries in, so I suppose it is feasible that there was some moisture and it could have caused a short. I flipped the switch to forward and hit the gas pedal and the cart acted like it wanted to move forward and kind of surged a little bit. I put the cart in reverse and I received the annoying reverse sound and the cart just kind of surged and wouldn't go. I put it into diagnostic mode, it beeped to let me know which chip I had installed, and then nothing more so it did not give a diagnostic code. I have it on the charger now, but am not too optimistic.

I know this is long, but my question is has anyone heard of this type of behavior? The batteries tested 38 volts in series. I am hoping it isn't the controller, and I am hopeful that it isn't because it was smart enough to tell me what speed chip was installed and it didn't beep any further codes.
jesmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO PDS 36V Stock Problem

Welcome to BGW!

Water and electricity don't play well together and sizzling sounds from the controller isn't good.

Pull the plugs on the controller and dry them with a blow drier and give the controller and solenoid a once over also.

Who knows, you might get lucky.

Or it might be time for and upgrade.

-----------
Does the solenoid click when you push pedal?

------------

Be sure to charger those new batteries before using them and then break them in properly.
Here's how: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
jesmitch
Not Yet Wild

I don't hear the solenoid click when I push the pedal. I downloaded the repair manual for the cart and tested the voltage on either side of the solenoid. It tested 10v lower on the controller side. I replaced the transistor with one we had at work, and it still tests 10v lower. I guess the one I borrowed might have an issue too, but what else would cause the voltage to be so much lower on the controller side?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Trace out the solenoid activation circuit, find where the power stops. The controller isn't the only part that doesn't like water.

What is the pack voltage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo PDS solenoid activation diagram.jpg (142.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
jesmitch
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Scotty. I will check all of those connections over lunch and report back. I like that I am able to test all of the individual systems seperately, but it sure does add to the level of complexity of troubleshooting the issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
jesmitch
Not Yet Wild

Here is an update. Give me your best knowledge!

Solenoid clicks and works fine. For some reason, and I know you think I don't know what I am doing, but I swear this is the truth. The controller side of the solenoid is now reading appropriately and not 10v less like it was earlier. This one baffled me. The motor still jerks a bit and doesn't muster up enough poop to do anything else. The voltages all check out on the other devices as far as I can tell. Continuity on the motor wires are good. With the F1 and F2 wires off of the controller, I am measuring 36v constant w/o pedal depressed on F1 and 0v on F2. When I depress the pedal, F2 is jumping up to 140ish and then comes back down after a few seconds to 0. With pedal depressed, F2 jumps around a bit but stays pretty constant at around 36v. I also checked and am getting 36v at the charging port so I assume the reed switch is fine.

So my assumptions...
Reed switch is good
Solenoid is good
Batteries have a good fresh charge and were brand new
F1 & F2 cables have good continuity from controller to battery

Based on the above findings, what would your next step be? Should the controller F2 provide constant 140ish range voltage the whole time the pedal is depressed? If so, is it a controller? I'm learning a lot, and thinking of going into business for myself on this deal as I feel like I am almost a pro now. Any insight you might have would be most appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remove everything from the solenoid large terminal on the controller side. No cable - no resistor.
Now what is the voltage on the battery side of the solenoid (large post)? And what is it on the controller side (large post) when the solenoid clicks?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO