lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
jtbryant
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Your thoughts on my new purchase.

Or at least, new to me.

I recently purchased an EZ-GO cart from a guy for a summer project for myself and my son. It's a 28L91, but I have no idea what that means to me besides it's a 1991 model.

Front cowl is missing, as well as one hubcap. Otherwise it's a solid little cart. It's loaded up with 6 Energizer EGC2 batteries, but of course, no charger. Two of them look a little swollen, so I'm guess two batteries are in my future.

So my son and I are looking at getting it street legal for my wife. She has about a 1 mile drive to work, and it's almost not worth cranking the car to drive. My primary focus is to not have it end up being a money pit.

First order of business is testing those batteries, and finding a charger that won't break the bank.

Your suggestions?

Thanks,
jtbryant
jtbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
dvmartin
Getting Wild

Default Re: Your thoughts on my new purchase.

Look for a charger on Ebay. They usually have some going at reasonable price also Craig'slist in your area. Go for a Powerwise model 28115 GO1 or better still GO4.
dvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Their are a few questions you need to answer to yourself/wife before you start spending any money. especially since you already know you need a charger, a new charger will set you back about $280, a new set of batteries will run you about $850, out the door. Your cart is a 36v cart, stock, with good batteries, will run between 12-14 MPH, with a mile drive, is that going to be fast enough for the wife?, i would ask her.....I just finished with my build for MY WIFES cart.....so if you want it to go faster, you could do a upgrade to 48v, this will get you roughly 30% more speed and torque. if you keep it totally stock, your are pretty much done after the batteries and charger. Althought at a minimum I would suggest a new set of larger cables, ALL of them, not just the battery cables.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
crash test dummy

check local laws on "street legal" you may have to have turn signals, horn, lights, brake lights, seat belts, mirrors & windshield .. speed laws ? cover for rainy days
oh and lic plate if needed

Last edited by crash test dummy; 05-28-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: info
Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
jtbryant
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good info.

On the charger, if I go with the Power Wise, I have to purchase a connector as well. This one has the old SB-50 connector. Does anyone know if it's a "Marathon" from that model number? Not sure if I will be buying the right parts without that info.

Not sure about the 48V conversion. I could do it, but isn't there some extra cost associated with it? What are the pros and cons? Seems like the 48V chargers I have seen are a little cheaper, are the batteries cheaper as well? Will it all fit under the seat?

On making it street legal, I haven't been able to find much. My local town pretty much allows them anywhere, I've never heard of anyone being ticketed. I will be safe thought and go ahead and get the front cowl with the lights, seat belts, etc. There's been some talk that the carts might have to be able to do 20 mph, so I might have to do a 48V conversion to get that kind of speed???

Oh, I am in Mississippi.

Thanks,
jtbryant
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbryant View Post
Oh, I am in Mississippi.
in that case ...drive it like ya stole it

MARATHON:
1975-1993

Separate Seat Backs
Metal Body
Front Black Plastic Cap
Top Without Handles

find serial number and enter it on this page

click link ---> http://www.shopezgo.com/common/templ...ialnumber.aspx
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Good info.
Not sure about the 48V conversion. I could do it, but isn't there some extra cost associated with it? What are the pros and cons? Seems like the 48V chargers I have seen are a little cheaper, are the batteries cheaper as well? Will it all fit under the seat?

Thanks,
jtbryant
to do it RIGHT.....MOST CERTAINLY. the real reason would be to make it go FASTER! lol MORE POWER!!!!!

you would need a New Controller, HD Solenoid, HD F/R Switch, 2 ga. Cable Set, the 48v Charger, and of course the batteries. average total for that upgrade......depending where you get it all......about $2400

There are a few different ways to go.....add two additional batteries (in the bag well) or just 6-8v's in the standard battery tray.

Battery Cost.....a little more then the set iof 6v's, I looked around about a week ago and the difference for me between the 36v pack vs. 48v pack was about $12 per battery.....so about an extra $72
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
jtbryant
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Arrow Re: Your thoughts on my new purchase.

So you're saying I should be good to go in Mississippi? ;) I don't think there are any really hard and fast rules yet.

BTW, on the Marathon cart - 4 Gauge or 6 Gauge wire kit for the batteries? Does it matter?

The more I read up on the conversion to 48V, I may be better off staying with the 36V. I think I have four good batteries, just have to replace two.

On that subject - and yes, I know I am full of questions - has anyone ever used Napa batteries? Like I said, the ones in there are Energizer EGC2, but I can't find them anywhere. The Napa battery is a GC2, and I can't find any rating on the Ah, but I would think it might be lower than the EGC2 from what I am reading on the net. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
jtbryant
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
to do it RIGHT.....MOST CERTAINLY. the real reason would be to make it go FASTER! lol MORE POWER!!!!!

you would need a New Controller, HD Solenoid, HD F/R Switch, 2 ga. Cable Set, the 48v Charger, and of course the batteries. average total for that upgrade......depending where you get it all......about $2400
Yes to do it right that is the way to go but that doesnt need to be done all at once. start off with 6-8 volts or 8-6 volt batteries dont even mess with the old ones just use them for your core charge. 4 ga wires will be fine but if you see yourself buliding a high output cart down the line then buy the 2 ga( no need to buy wires twice) now if at this time your not lifting it and staying with the stock 18" tires then no need for a controller. the main question right now is 36 / 48 that will control which charger you buy .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
So you're saying I should be good to go in Mississippi? ;) I don't think there are any really hard and fast rules yet.

On that subject - and yes, I know I am full of questions - has anyone ever used Napa batteries? Like I said, the ones in there are Energizer EGC2, but I can't find them anywhere. The Napa battery is a GC2, and I can't find any rating on the Ah, but I would think it might be lower than the EGC2 from what I am reading on the net. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
jtbryant
Try Sams club , they did carry energizers but some got replaced by duracell which is another desent battery. when it comes to battery its all about amp hrs and over all weight , the more lead the better

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracel...navAction=push

now that is the 8 volt but they do have 6 volt also
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO