lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Spotaru
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 Marathon dies going uphill

Cart is 1991 Marathon stock cart. New batteries installed one year ago. The problem started when i was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. While i was gone the cart was used but NOT charged until the 4th day. (New employee didn't know you had to TURN the charger ON. This is the only non automatic charger here.) When i got home they were telling me the charger was not working.
OK..... I check all batteries, the electrolyte level was below the top of the plates on all batteries. Visual inspection shows no damage or buildup on plates. Had no choice but add distilled water to cover the plates. I then charged them. Charger works fine as far as i can tell. Ammeter shows almost 20amps at start of charge and slowly lowers amps as charge continues. Voltage of pack is 48.5 while charger is running. Pack voltage was 37.2 after charge. Not so good. checked each battery with load test and hydrometer. All past the load test but my hydrometer readings make no sense. My hydrometer is a floating needle type. (yes i know..GET A REAL ONE) Anyway i had checked these same batteries about 2 weeks ago and all readings were normal and within 15 points of each other. Now they read too high. Completely off the scale. Not sure if it's reading right or it's gone bad.
Next I did an equalize charge on them with a really good car charger. (2 batts in series to make 12v) After that i recharged the pack with the cart charger. Pack volts came up to 38.6 The cart ran great that day but after charging over night it's back to 37.2 and the cart id again will not go up a hill. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on here. I will load the batteries and get readings from each actually riding up the hill as soon as possible. On the load test i did with the meter all batts passed and volts dropped by only 1.2 volts.
Spotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Marathon dies going uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotaru View Post
Cart is 1991 Marathon stock cart. New batteries installed one year ago. The problem started when i was admitted to the hospital for 5 days. While i was gone the cart was used but NOT charged until the 4th day. (New employee didn't know you had to TURN the charger ON. This is the only non automatic charger here.) When i got home they were telling me the charger was not working.
OK..... I check all batteries, the electrolyte level was below the top of the plates on all batteries. Visual inspection shows no damage or buildup on plates. Had no choice but add distilled water to cover the plates. I then charged them. Charger works fine as far as i can tell. Ammeter shows almost 20amps at start of charge and slowly lowers amps as charge continues. Voltage of pack is 48.5 while charger is running. Pack voltage was 37.2 after charge. Not so good. checked each battery with load test and hydrometer. All past the load test but my hydrometer readings make no sense. My hydrometer is a floating needle type. (yes i know..GET A REAL ONE) Anyway i had checked these same batteries about 2 weeks ago and all readings were normal and within 15 points of each other. Now they read too high. Completely off the scale. Not sure if it's reading right or it's gone bad.
Next I did an equalize charge on them with a really good car charger. (2 batts in series to make 12v) After that i recharged the pack with the cart charger. Pack volts came up to 38.6 The cart ran great that day but after charging over night it's back to 37.2 and the cart id again will not go up a hill. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on here. I will load the batteries and get readings from each actually riding up the hill as soon as possible. On the load test i did with the meter all batts passed and volts dropped by only 1.2 volts.
If you are using an automotive load tester you won't get an accurate result. Your idea to measure the load while driving the cart will be the best.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Spotaru
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 Marathon dies going uphill

After completing the last charge, the pack volts were 39.0 when i started the test. Volts varied between 36.4 and 37.8 while driving to the hill. Started up the hill with 38.1v came to a complete stop after a few feet still showing 37.3 for the pack. Tested each battery seperately while still sitting on the hill.
All six batteries show between 6.2 and 6.3 when completely still. pedal on the floor. Hooked back up to full pack still had 38.1. dropped to 37.3 again with pedal down. Got a running started up the hill volts at bottom were 38 dropped to 36.2. No cables or parts were found to be hot during or after the tests.
These seem to be good to me. Does anyone know the steps to troubleshoot the controller circuits on this model. 1991 marathon stock cart.
Spotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO