lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

Default wants to run but wont

I have a mid 80s ezgo with a 2pg motor. I just rebuilt the motor from crank up. i took it on its first trip and it ran great. after a while it started chugging. Got it home and seen choke came unhooked and was on. hooked it back up it ran great for about 20 feet and then it made a bang and killed and wouldnt start backup. since then ive checked/cleaned carb and checked reeds. I checked my coil and replaced it with one my buddy had off his. it has bright blue spark. Still has great compression. when cranking it pops but wont start. Every once in a while it would run but once u let off throttle it wont start again. we put gas straight into cylinder through spark plug hole replaced plug and it wont even pop changed plug removed fuel pump a blew through it with mouth and it dont seem to leak. It acts the same way in forward and reverse so dont think its timing. Only thing i can think of is spark is bad under compression. i dont want to start throwing parts at it. i am stumped any help would be appreciate. thanks chris
cpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: wants to run but wont

Was the bang a backfire or did it sound like something breaking internally?
If it was a backfire, it probably took out one or both of the crank seals.
Look behind the primary clutch and you might even see it sitting on the crankshaft. If it is still in the block, look for any leakage around the seal.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

It didnt sound like a backfire to me. when the reeds were out i turned motor over by hand and looked at crank and everything looked ok from what i could see and motor sounds fine when cranking. I will check the seals tomorrow when i get a chance. Is there a chance it might have only blown one out and i should pull the fan side apart too?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Once one is blown out, it relieves pressure. 2 going at the same time is possible but unlikely.
If it didn't sound like a backfire, what did it sound like?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
cpotter
Not Yet Wild

I think of a backfire like out of the exhaust or carb a loud bang and this was more of a muffeled bang so it ptobably did backfire in the case. i will check it tomorrow. thank u for the help its greatly appreciated!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

What did you find to be the problem?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO