lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
rljgaj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default HEI Ignition and 4 cycle

HEI Ignition on 2000 TXT E-Z-GO M# E100 S# 1271009 gas 4 stroke that has a problem I can’t solve
OK maybe some one can help as before I said I switched to the HEI Ignition, I know where those with a 4 cycle are having problems but I don't know how we can correct it I've tried everything I know.
I noticed everyone having a similar problem with the loss of power, missing etc.
I read the post and saw where going to either a .050 or .012 gap on the plugs would help, .012 worked best for me but still not right, it still sluggish and pops as well as over heats.
Here is the problem with the 4 cycle if you use the HEI ignition and it doesn’t run right you switch the wires on the HEI, what this does is lets the passenger side cylinder fire hotter, even though it will run better backwards, forward want hardly go no matter what.
This is what has happened the clutch side cylinder / plug does not have a strong enough fire to burn all the fuel and that’s the smell some of us have. When you close the plug gap it will fire and run better but it will also over heat the engine.
My question now is has any one found a way to get both cylinders to fire hot with the HEI.
If you want to see if this is happing to you it’s a easy check, take a test light and hook to the battery ground, puncture the coil wire and touch the plug if the engine stalls its firing good, if the sound of the engine doesn’t change see if you can rev it up if you can the cylinder is dead ( weak fire.) This can be done in neutral at just above or at a idle speed.
Waiting to hear some thoughts on this.
Thanks
Rick
rljgaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HEI Ignition and 4 cycle

I have not seen anyone successfully implement the HEI modification on a twin cylinder engine, although probably hundreds have done so on the two stroke. I suspect the reason is that the HEI module is designed to fire one coil and what is fitted to the twin cylinder is effectively two coils that fire at the same time (obviously one spark is wasted on each revolution). This, I think, will overload the HEI module so that only one plug gets the full voltage. A solution (and this is pure speculation) may be to use two HEI modules and two coils thus having one coil per unit. Now if only some brave person would like to test this hypothesis.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
rljgaj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree because with the HEI it seems to make the passanger side cylinder as primary. If can't figure out a way to make it work I will replace the engine. That would be cheaper than buying the ezgo parts.
It also effects the charging system since the batteries actually charge at the higher rpm's.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Has anyone every put a timing light on the 4-stroke to see if the ignitor has built-in timing advance? If it is running hot with the hei, I would suspect that the timing is not advancing. Retarded timing will cause the motor to run hot, and have really low power.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I answered my own question. According to this, it has a built in timing advance and rpm limiter.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
rljgaj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would there be a way to compinsate for this
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If you want to eliminate the CDI, no.

Tags
back fireing, missing, poping, surging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO