lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Question about a tire leak....maybe

I've been having to add a fair amount of air to my back driver's side tire about every 2 weeks.
Since I'm usually the only one riding the cart, and I'm not a small lady, and I go over lots of bumps on our property, is it possible that the tire is losing air because of those factors? Haven't seen any obvious leak yet.

And another question.........I don't know what they are called, but you know how there's 2 parts that go on the tire stem?......one to cover up the lower part of the stem, and the cap.
Well, those lower parts are really hard to get off when I need to add air. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt the stem. Is there a trick to getting those off more easily? Can I put some vasoline under them? Where would I get more of those if I need them? Is it normal to be fairly awkward to put the nozzle of the air machine tube onto the stem? There's hardly enough room with that big center of the wheel.
Thanks!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Question about a tire leak....maybe

your talking about the valve stem cover and cap .. the cover should be low enough to allow the tire to be inflated with out removeing it .. just the cap needs to be removed to air up tire

Quote:
"I go over lots of bumps on our property, is it possible that the tire is losing air because of those factors? Haven't seen any obvious leak yet."
no that will not cause a leak ... but sand/dirt getting in the rim will
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The way to find leaks is to fill the tire then set it on the ground and pour some water all around the bead. If there is sand or crud between the bead and the rim, leaks will bubble. Hit the tire right next to the bead with a rubber malllet, but don't hit the rim. This will expel any crud. Do this for both sides. Also check around the valve stem, as it can also leak. Check the valve itself. If it leaks, tighten it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What Yurtle said...but put some dish soap in the water and check the entire tire. Look for clumps of tiny bubbles.
Happy Trails!
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

one thing you can do to make the entire process of checking the tire easier, IF you have a "kiddy pool", is to jack up the cart, put it on a jack stand and take the tire completly off the cart. wash iff the wheel/tire and put it in the pool. a lot of old tire shops use to have a tank that they could do this with, and it works like a champ.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

spray with windex , it bubbles well with air leaks
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sometimes the valve stem valve leaks. put some water there too. If it's leaking there, you can repace the valve insert.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I mentioned that. Sometimes you can simply tighten it. As you mentioned, sometimes it needs to be replaced.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

ya know....once upon a time, bicycle valve caps use to have a valve core wrench built into them....I have one somewhere in my tool box.

valve core cap.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone. How do I tighten a valve stem if its leaking? Is it just a matter of twisting it tighter?
I have a couple of the Black and Decker inflators and I have a hard time getting the watchamacallit to make a seal on the stem, in order to fill it with air (if I leave the valve stem cover on). I think its on, and then the air machine indicates its not sealed and blows off the stem.
Another question........is there a better air machine to use so that the locking device on the air tubing is shorter and isn't constantly running into other parts of the wheel? (which makes it harder to attach).

I appreciate your help!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO