lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Piddler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Shrill sound from CVT

Hey guys
I had stated in an earlier post that I had acquired an EZGO ST 4x4 in need of repair. Well after two months of disassembly, waiting for parts I could get, and having some machining done for parts I couldn't get, I have finally got it back together all repaired and adjusted and ready to run. Part of my repairs was in the transmission involving the governor fly weights, governor spool, and replacing a bearing. I had to have the flyweights cut for me and I was able to replace the missing ones on the governor spool. I was able to salvage enough of the broken fly weights to get a pattern for a CAD. The bearing was easy enough to replace.
When i finally got it to run I took it out on the road and under acceleration I get a real loud shrill sound from the CVT or transmission. I can not think of anything in the transmission that would cause this. My question is is this something that I can repair or is this the nature of this type of cart?
Some of you guys that have had experience with these, I would appreciate your information.

Thank you
Piddler
Piddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Shrill sound from CVT

I was replying to the wrong post, sorry if you read this before the edit. Besides the squealing, how does it perform?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Piddler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am really impressed with this cart other than the squealing. It seems to be a real work horse.
Piddler
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

You'd be surprised at the stuff just a bone stock 2PG rear wheel drive can do. I'm all over the mountain in places normally reserved for the ATV's and I can carry more people, just not nearly as fast. A lifted 4WD has to be incredible. I hope you can get the squealing taken care of. Barring that you'll have to drive to where the deer are the night before and camp out. If you have a cart shop in your area though you might have him take a look at it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

make sure the belt is running straight.
have you confirmed it coming from the rear diff or the belt/clutch area.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Piddler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for your response and yes I have made sure the belt is tracking straight. I am 99% positive that the clutch is the noise source. I have researched servicing the clutch and have came across articles for golf carts and automobiles, but nothing for UTV types.
Thanks
Piddler
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

You might try searching "ATV drive belt squealing" I searched it myself and I was surprised at how many ATV riders with CTV transmissions have this issue. There are a slew of causes from improper belt deflection, belt break in, dirty clutches, and so on. Of course not everything is going to apply but you might get a few ideas since even on an ATV the clutches work pretty much the same.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Piddler
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again Heliarc
I will take your advice and Google for help since you have given me the phrase to use.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO