lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Fouling plugs

I have a 99 workhorse with the 350 engine.

I've had times over the past year or so where I can have starting problems. When I've had these problems it's usually where the cart floods, and the plugs are wet. Dry them off and it starts fine again.

A few weeks ago I was having some starting problems and decided to change plugs. I'd done this maybe less then a year ago, but I'd been told once you foul them it tends to do it easier again.

Yesterday a week or so after changing plugs, and by the way it's been starting great since I changed them, again it wouldn't start. We were fixing some fence and I'd started and stopped it a few times going down the fenceline, then all of a sudden it doesn't start. I pulled the plugs and they were dry, but carboned up. When I got the cart back to the barn I tried again and nothing. This time when I pulled the plugs a little damp. I dried them and used some emery cloth on the plugs. It started right up and has started up fine 4 or 5 times since.

When it flooded sometimes I was thinking carb work needed. But with the carbon and not starting even when the plugs are dry, I had someone wonder about compression. And I wondered if new plug wires might be something needed. Thought I'd see what you guys thought.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
wide'iwas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fouling plugs

I would check the pulsar connection or put a meter on the +/- on the coil when pressing pedal you should have 12v if jumping volts 3//4/3/4 ect suspect pulsar connection if voltage is good ......suspect fuel pump
wide'iwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

when was the last time the valves were adjusted? if they are tight it will cause the plugs to gas foul easier from my experience.

also what plug are you running. I always like running a hotter plug in the 350.

also running this crap 10% ethanol fuel doesn't help the carbs on these carts. I would remove it and give it a good cleaning. It wont hurt it.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help. I think the valves should be ok, but I can check them. It's been a while since I adjusted them.

The plugs I use are BPR4ES, that's what was in when I got the cart so I just matched them.

I have used ethanol gas off and on, but haven't used any for a while now. I did look in the tech section on plugs and noticed for carbon on plugs it mentions the air filter. I blew out the air filter a while back, but it's been a while since it's been replaced. The last month or so it's been very dry and dusty. Since I'm always on a gravel road or on dirt roads, which have been dust roads, that may be part of the problem. I have to go near a local dealer later this week, so maybe I'll stop and pick up a filer while I'm there.

I was wondering if plug wires could be a factor because one time when I was having a problem getting it started I scraped around inside the part that goes on the spark plug and get it running. I figured the plug wire may have been a bit corroded or something.

I haven't had a chance to check the voltage at the coil yet, but I'm going to try later today to do that.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Well not sure if my problem will be solved, but it might, we'll see.

Yesterday I stopped by a local dealer where I got my workhorse to pick up an air filter. Told him about the fouling problem and he asked what plugs I was using. I told him they put in new BPR4ES plugs when I bought the cart so I put in the same ones. He said a while back because of fouling plugs they switched to NGK FR2A-D plugs. He gave me two for free and told me to try them out and see how things went.

When I take the cart down to the river which is about 3 miles round trip. Usually when I get back I have problems. The cart will start if not in forward or reverse, but has no power. After 30 seconds or so like that it will finally pick up power. Both times back after the plug change this hasn't happened. So maybe we're on the right track.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO