lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Stupid Tax

Well gang, after getting it home and doing a through disassembly to witness all the distruction I succoumbed to my machine, I only have one item I need to replace to make the cart move.

This unit I need to replace is the steering column unit. Just the piece that bolts onto the steering box. I tried welding the broken pieces of pot metal, but pot metal is a totally different beast and I melted enough of it onto my bench to give myself the pat on the back on how I can't weld pot metal.

So, my parts catalog lists 2x different P/N units. One is a 19153-G1 and the other is a 19153-G4. I can web search to find the G1 but I'm not having much luck on the G4.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? The G1 looks to be what I need but one can't trust a website picture alone!

BTW, I broke off other items that I fixed already and this is the only thing needed to make it move. Now my electricals are a completely different story.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stupid Tax

Can't help you with the part number, but it sounds like the same parts I broke when I flipped mine. I was able to drive it home with crazy tilt steering, as the housing had enough left for the rack and pinion to function, with the universal joint on the actual steering column.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW,

Mine's a 1998 TXT with frame mounted steering. The part numbers from the parts manual didn't match shopezygo.com's numbers, but here's what I bought from them:

Rack - 70718G01
Pinion - 70717G01P
Bellows - 70183G01
Steering column gasket - 70223G01
Flanged bearing - 70185G01
Steering thrust washer - 70216G01
Rack ball end - 70192G01
Steering housing service kit - 75364G01
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Thanks Yurtle,

I'm not sure how far I want to go down that path of cross referencing everything because in 1993.5-1994 EZGO changed a lot.

With shipping I can find the G1 for around $80, unless someone chimes in these next few days.

So your saying you had controllable tilt steering. If I hadn't been knocked out I would have done the same to get me off the road and away from the state police arse pain. Oh well. If one is willing to play they have to be willing to pay as well.

F.W.I.W I did snap the rod in the steering box, that centers the steering shaft, but I was able to drive it out and weld it. I think it will be fine.

Thanks bud.

Last edited by Gonkulor; 08-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is yours three bolt or four. Maybe that's the difference? I just went and looked at mine, and I found the broken piece I believe you need. It's been demoted to a bottle-rocket launcher.

I must have bought one somewhere, but can't put my hands on the receipt. The parts listed above don't include it.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

4 bolt. Bottle rocket launcher. That is funny because it would absolutely make a good one. Or potato cannon barrel.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Here's my "spud" gun. I made retrievable rockets. Potatoes are too expensive.

And to stay on topic, mine was three bolts, so a part number wouldn't do you any good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_spud_gun.jpg (50.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rocket.jpg (65.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FYI
I bought an old cart once that had a little bracket welded in between the frame and the column. This held the column in place. Further investigation revealed the column base was broken as you describe. I used the cart for a year before selling it the same way, no problems....... I got a feeling you could get creative and fix it like this for little or nothin'
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Good idea. I tried to unscrew the column from the "flange" but was unable to. Perhaps it could be broken away and the column reused with a fabricated bracket as you described.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I have given that some thought. I could make it work as-is and add some bracketing but it just wouldn't be right. I'm an anul aircraft mechanic. Everything is always as-per and in-accordance-with. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO