lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
GHopson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Adjusting a Carb on a 1999 TXT Ezgo

I am rebuilding a 1999 TXT E-Z-GO Gas Golf Cart. The origional problem was that the previous owner could not start. He expected that someone had tampered with it. A few of his helpers had tried to get it started by removing the air filter and spraying starter fluid into the carb. The Carb Backfired and burnt up the entire engine compartment.
I have done the following so far:

1) Rewired all wiring harneses
2) Corrected the "reversed" fuel lines (Pulse and Gas lines were reversed)
3) Ran a mixture of Oil and Marvel mystery oil throug the block to clear up any Gas residue in the block.
3) Replaced the Carb

Now everything runs great but I am getting alot of "White" smoke after engine warms up.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary
GHopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
dewzer
Getting Wild

Default Re: Adjusting a Carb on a 1999 TXT Ezgo

Sounds like you might have a residue built up in the muffler.
It can be a bugger to burn them out.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
GHopson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have been given a few suggestions from the Rings, Head Gasket, to the Carb.

I origionally thaought that I had a problem with the float because Fuel was streaming out of the muffler when I initially tried to start it. I took the carb off and tested the float (To see if it would float) and it wasn't the float, but I ruined the float trying to put it back together..... So.... I bought a new carb. Upon looking around and trying to figure out the problem, I noticed that the Pulse Line and the fuel lines had been reversed (The problem all along). I put the lines back in order , put on the new carb, and it runs great.... only problem is the white smoke (I Laid a smoke screen through the neighborhood... not a great idea in my neighborhood).

I have bought the engine manual to tear down the engine, but I wanted other ideas first.

1) Head Gasket
2) Rings
3) Valve Seals

or

4) (and I am hoping that it is this one) An adjustment on the new Carb. (I put it on the engine straight out of the box... No Adjustments.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Gary (A mechanic Wannabe)
GHopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Generally white smoke indicates oil burning. Do a compression test to determine if the oil is getting into the compression chamber via rings or valves.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

overfull on oil, sucking it up the crankcase vent hose ??
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
dewzer
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHopson View Post
I have been given a few suggestions from the Rings, Head Gasket, to the Carb.

I origionally thaought that I had a problem with the float because Fuel was streaming out of the muffler when I initially tried to start it. I took the carb off and tested the float (To see if it would float) and it wasn't the float, but I ruined the float trying to put it back together..... So.... I bought a new carb. Upon looking around and trying to figure out the problem, I noticed that the Pulse Line and the fuel lines had been reversed (The problem all along). I put the lines back in order , put on the new carb, and it runs great.... only problem is the white smoke (I Laid a smoke screen through the neighborhood... not a great idea in my neighborhood).

I have bought the engine manual to tear down the engine, but I wanted other ideas first.

1) Head Gasket
2) Rings
3) Valve Seals

or

4) (and I am hoping that it is this one) An adjustment on the new Carb. (I put it on the engine straight out of the box... No Adjustments.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Gary (A mechanic Wannabe)
Gas in the oil and the residue in the muffler.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Deshet
Not Yet Wild

You or someone probably overfilled the oil. These carts are extremely sensitive to being over filled. Check and see if oil is in the air filter housing, if so drain the oil to the proper. Even a little over the full line on the dipstick can cause white smoke. Unless you are extremely unluckly it is doubtful you had more then one problem initially. The robin 295 is an extremely reliable engine.
Deshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO