lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v 97 Club Car charger not shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I have a 2 car garage and the smell is present when you open the door. I have left the garage door cracked to let any gases out. I am sensitive to smells and tend to be paranoid about it catching on fire or spilling. I am new to battery charging and it's first cart. Perhaps that's my lack of knowledge.
A faint smell would not draw alarm bells from me but as a boat engineer I'm used to following my nose either to a problem or bacon....

When I'm home my garage doors are open more than they are closed so my garage is well ventlated...

Keep in mind that a charger may runs upward of 16 hours to charge even partially discharged batteries. What you need to get in the habit of is both randomly opening a battery cap to check that you've got a 1/4" of water covering your plates and to check them all on a regular basis too....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondrat View Post
Yes I have reset the OBC a few weeks ago, thanks for the reads crash great advise I think I will try and let the charger over run way beyond what seems necessary one more time and see if it will eventually shut off, the stench is very strong and my camp neighbors can even smell it, I do not want to over harm these new batteries, I will post back shortly, Thanks again
You may well have a faulty OBC. sure test is to find another car that is known to be ok and plug your charger into it. If it switches off then your OBC is faulty.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the water levels are not to high that will cause gassing as well.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
Hyper
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After charging my batteries for several hours, charges does turn off. I am still not trustworthy of chargers. Am I just a paranoid mess. I am always afraid that charger won't cutoff and will cause issues while I am asleep.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
After charging my batteries for several hours, charges does turn off. I am still not trustworthy of chargers. Am I just a paranoid mess. I am always afraid that charger won't cutoff and will cause issues while I am asleep.
nothing you can do for paranoia .. guess you need to charge in the day time
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
pondrat
Not Yet Wild

Hey everyone
Just an update on my cooking of the battery's because the charger was not shutting off at all hence the reason for starting this thread. Had the charger looked at in the spring and it was cleaned and inspected and declared working properly I decided to buy the 3 parts that are claimed to go on the golf chargers. I changed out the charger relay, the heatsink/diode assembly and the circuit breaker, BOOM no more cooking the battery's a good solid steady charge without smelling nothing, charger shutting off fine at about 59.7 volts no more getting up into the mid 60's with the dense strong smell, glad I decided to rebuild this charger even thou it seem and was said to be ok before going all in for the new OBC. Happy camper now, not a expensive or hard process to rebuild the charger first just to make sure it is running correctly. Thanks everyone for your inputs and helpful information
pondrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car