lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
dewy
Getting Wild

Default Clutch Issue (i think)

Im hoping someone here will know the answer to my question, as i am unsure myself.

Just last week while golfing, my cart started to Jerk real bad at takeoff. Once the gas pedal was pressed it would rev high for less then a second and then a loud clunk is heard in the back end, then the cart jerks and takes off. It does this every time i try to take off normally.
But if i just barely get the cart moving and very carefully and slowly press the gas and slowly accelerate, the cart does not clunk or jerk forward but 80% of the time doing this the driven clutch (Secondary) will not expand and the engine will rev real high and the cart only goes walking speed at full throttle .

It seems as though the clutch is sticking in the closed position and needs a heavy acceleration right off the bat to jerk it free. Will greasing maybe solve the problem? Or does it sound like the clutch needs to be repaired or cleaned?

One more question, Since i bought this cart 3 years ago, it has never been real good at climbing hills, and it refuses to go slow. Could this be caused from a spring that is to strong in the secondary clutch so it wants to fly wide open instantly? This carts speed with the pedal pressed 1/4 throttle is around 8- 10 mph, and full throttle is about 20 mph (the engine had been rebuilt and bored out by previous owner) If the throttle is pressed less than 1/4, the cart sort of jerks back and forth like its wanting to kick into high gear (like a dog on a leash that keeps jolting forward wanting to go faster)

Would a less stiff spring fix this? or would it need to be stiffer? Basically im looking for more torque at slow speeds, and i can definitely afford to lose some speed.
dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Clutch Issue (i think)

I'm not very good on the clutch systems. But did you check the three plastic tabs on the driven clutch to see if they are even there. I've seen some carts running on just one. They do loose power and jerk when there gone. You can put the cart in service mode to start it in neutral and rev the engine to see if the clutches are operating like they should. Make sure that drive clutch isn't popping open. The speed thing might just be the throttle cables are to tight.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car