lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Couple of Brake Questions

Started having a soft pedal. Well, it was always kind of soft, it just got worse recently. Ever since the lift, it always seemed like the driver's side brake wasn't releasing all the way. Well now after further investigating, it wasn't. As soon as I popped the cable off at the axle, the brake lever flipped back as it should have. It seems that the driver's side cable is slightly too short, and since it was already under pressure, it was causing the brake cable mechanism to be imbalanced. I have a feeling I'm been running the cart on only the passenger side brake ever since the lift!

I pulled the cables off and they both seem pretty stiff and hard to move the cable in and out. Should they be? They look pretty ragged so I think I'm just going to replace them both and replace the pads. I noticed that the passenger side brake cable is slightly longer than the driver side cable.

But has anyone else had issues with brakes after a lift? I remember reading awhile back that someone had used the longer passenger side cable in order to fix their brakes on the driver side, but I don't remember the situation. My cables don't seem tight or stretched, I have slack in between the c-clip brackets. Maybe I just need to hammer the rear bracket so it bends more towards the rear of the cart?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Couple of Brake Questions

Subscribed
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well I ordered my parts from Everything Carts. Should get the stuff later this week. Ordered two new cables, two sets of brake shoes, and two new rubber backing plate actuator gaskets. The site said that the brake cables work for both driver and passenger side, and the listed length measurement matches that of my longer passenger side cable.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I remember reading awhile back that someone had used the longer passenger side cable in order to fix their brakes on the driver side,
i too remember readin that
don't skimp when it comes to brakes
and don't hammer on bracket ..
did you try to adjust them ?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I know when I lifted the EZGO the driver side brake cable was short and tight. So I either ordered a passenger side cable for that side, or I ordered cables from the workhorse(I can't remember). I think passenger side cable should work out.
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i too remember readin that
don't skimp when it comes to brakes
and don't hammer on bracket ..
did you try to adjust them ?
Yeah I tried to adjust, but the cables are in really crappy shape, especially the driver side one. Pads are worn a bit too, probably original. Brakes haven't been at 100% likely for years. But up until now they were good enough to get by.

Yeah after I thought about it, there's no reason to try and bend the brackets, since all the brackets do is hold the outer sleeve. The cable length will be unaffected. If I adjust anything it'll be the threaded bolt at the equalizer under the floorboard.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
RAF81
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It could be you have rust in one of the cables too. That's what happened to mine, so I just replaced both cables. If you think you have a soft pedal now, wait till you have the new cables on.
RAF81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF81 View Post
If you think you have a soft pedal now, wait till you have the new cables on.
The way this is worded, makes me think...pedal will be even softer (?). I hope not...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Got the new pads today. Went on pretty easy. Question about the bolt next to the actuator lever on the lower backside of the backing plate: How tight? I tightened it good, but not too tight, it looks like it's designed to move a little.

Cables should be here tomorrow and I can wrap it up.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Cables have been delivered to my door and will be waiting for me when I get home from work this afternoon.

Anyone know anything about that hex bolt next the actuator lever? Looking to wrap this thing up later today.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car