lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
tgaston
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Engine troubles

No. I'll get a pic tomorrow. It is an overhead valve motor with the factory air box removed and a small K&N style air cleaner.
tgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Must be a transplant then. Interesting. Does it look like this? This is the FE290, used from 1992-now:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
tgaston
Not Yet Wild

Yes looks more like that. I'll look better tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
tgaston
Not Yet Wild

Here are some pics I took this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (4).jpg (83.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (3).jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (2).jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Definitely looks like an FE290 or an FE350 to me. I've never seen a '91-older cart come with an FE motor before, as '92 was the first year for the FEs (officially). Maybe someone made one cart from two or something. Lockman what do you think?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Gas in the oil could also come from the fuel pump. Leaks down threw the pulse line into the crank case but it looks new in the photos. I've had decent luck out of the ebay 90 carbs. That isn't a 91 frame. 92-00 I think. The 91 frames had an aluminum plate instead of the plastic black box. And the piece above the battery with the two holes is we're the air box strapped on.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #17
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Defiantly an FE290 (CCW FE350's are few and far between)
FE290 should be cast into base of the engine at the rear drain plug.

It looks like a 1992+ cart to me also, the electrical components box has a 45 corner, pre-91 carts have a square ECB.
Could it be possible that it didn't have a serial number tag, and they just put any tag on it just to sell it?

Anyhow... Check your oil level, since your cart is lifted, it should not read all the way to the full line with the proper amount of oil,
if it's overfull, the engine will bog down and smoke on longer runs at full throttle! (don't ask how I know that! )

I'm also kind of concerned about the aftermarket air filter...
Kawi engines are really finicky about the air/fuel mixture, if the carb doesn't
have a larger jet with that air filter, that will give you grief also!

But, I gotta admit... it's a nice cart, I'd buy it!

Getting off my soapbox now...
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
tgaston
Not Yet Wild

Great info guys. Thanks! The oil level is very high and it has a heavy gas smell. I'll let you know what I figure out the issue is.

From the info you guys have given me, my guess is that this is a very late '91 with '92 content. I am in the boat business and this is very common. Sometimes a new model boat will be built before the "model year" change and there will be a few built that do not match that years manufacturer's specs for features, equipment, ect.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

forgot to add the air filter is actually a breather for a valve cover on a car engine. Also agree these carbs are very air sensitive. Need to read the plug and see if it is running rich or lean.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #20
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Don makes a good point about the oil level. I noticed that the front tab at the front of your engine cradle is at a significant (and almost dangerous) angle, which was created when the cart was lifted. This causes the motor to be lower in the rear, higher in the front, and as Don said, will throw off your oil dipstick to the point where it may be overfilled. I would seriously advise lowering the front of the cradle. It's very easy, seeing as how you have the two-bolt tab. All you have to do is remove the bolts, split the tab, and add in a spacer of some kind and two longer bolts.

I see that your front cradle tab (in addition to being angled badly against the frame) also has no rubber bushing on it to cushion it from banging on the frame. You should also get a bushing for it. I did also notice that your custom air filter will need to be removed/modified in order for the motor to be lowered more as well, so keep that in mind.

My cart is lifted 6", and I was able to lower the front of the cradle by 2" with a piece of square steel as a spacer and my dipstick now reads correctly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car