lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Two Blown Sets of Front Bulbs on a Basic Light Kit

This is a request for . I installed a voltage reducer (VR) 30 amp with red, black, yellow and green wires (ordered from scottyb's) in a 2008.5 CC Precedent IQ that has 4 12 volt batteries.

The basic light kit (different vendor) came with a bucket harness that I installed and I also ordered a Blue Sea 5025 fuse block that was attached inside the battery compartment

Based on the installation directions for the VR, I connected the red to the #1 battery positive terminal on the passenger's side and the negative to the #4 battery on the driver's side. I ran the green wire to the 12 (+) directly to the fuse block and a separate black wire (16 guage) from the 12 (-) of the fuse block to the #4 battery negative terminal. The yellow wire from the VR was connected directly to the key switch "hot" male blade terminal.

I ran a green wire from the fuse block with a 10 amp fuse directly to one of the male blade terminals on the light switch that was part of the basic light kit.

I may have interpreted something incorrectly. By the way, the red back lights come on when I pull out the light switch without blowing. I am stumped about this one since it is my first attempt at installing all of the above.

Any ideas and/or recommendations? Thanks!
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Two Blown Sets of Front Bulbs on a Basic Light Kit

Do you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the fuse panel?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Do you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the fuse panel?
The voltage at the fuse panel is 12.85 volts. I used a digital multimeter and probed the top (-) on the fuse panel and the ring terminal, on the fuse block, going directly to the light switch. I connected this green wire to one of the wires on the light switch.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
The voltage at the fuse panel is 12.85 volts. I used a digital multimeter and probed the top (-) on the fuse panel and the ring terminal, on the fuse block, going directly to the light switch. I connected this green wire to one of the wires on the light switch.
If the voltage is correct then there must be a polarity conflict. Did the fuse blow or just the lights?

There should be just one polarity at the fuse panel (like 36v+) and then a 36v- wire going to each fixture.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That main negative wire to the fuse box should be 12ga or 10ga since it could potentially carry 30 amps.

What did You do with the original 10ga Blue wire with a fuse holder from the bucket harness that was connected to the pack?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If the voltage is correct then there must be a polarity conflict. Did the fuse blow or just the lights?

There should be just one polarity at the fuse panel (like 36v+) and then a 36v- wire going to each fixture.
Are you saying that, on the fuse block, the 12 (+) green wire should be connected from the VR and not the top 12 (-)? If so, I must have really misinterpreted the installation directions?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That main negative wire to the fuse box should be 12ga or 10ga since it could potentially carry 30 amps.

What did You do with the original 10ga Blue wire with a fuse holder from the bucket harness that was connected to the pack?
The blue wire, on the bucket harness, is spliced/connected to the red wire from the VR and I used a fully insulated female connector. Both are connected to the fully insulated male connector on the #1 battery positive terminal.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Just the lights.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
abamadude
Not Yet Wild

You should measure the voltage at the light sockets.
abamadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abamadude View Post
You should measure the voltage at the light sockets.
Are you referencing the 6 pin connector that plugs into the front light bezel?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car