lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Ironworker85
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 getting hot after Umaxx spring install?

Hey guys i took my cart on a ride to day ive done this trip many times and i no the exhaust gets hot but today it got real hot to the point where the whole exhaust was smokin when i stoped. In the last week i hav installed a umaxx clutch spring and a new belt i also cut and welded up full skid plates under swing arm and rear diff. I was wondering if anybody has ever had a problm with a cart getting hot after new clutch spring or did i cut off to much airflow when i put skid plate on. Thanks guys for any help.
Ironworker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 getting hot after Umaxx spring install?

The umaxx spring will make the cart rev more rpms which is most likely the culprit.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its cause your muffler is full of oil like most G1. If you run it harder than normal it starts on fire and smokes, and with the spring you run more rpm. Solution is to run it hard until it stops smoking. Usually 15 min at full throttle running it will stop smoking, then drive it around easy until it cools off. It wont do it again for some time. Its from lot of short trips or driving at low throttle and muffler stays cold and collects oil.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

Yep, db is correct. After you installed the spring could you tell that the motor was revving much higher at low speed? Did you loose top end speed?
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Ironworker85
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yea i lost a little top speed with new spring. I hav never seen the exhaust get nowhere near this hot before new spring. I was thinkin about cuttin exhaust apart and seein if its pluged up
Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

On the G1 the machined sheave and the stock spring make a good combination. for most. More power and no loss of top speed.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can cut the spring a little shorter, half inch might make a difference.

You can stick something up the exhaust pipe and see if anything falls out they do collect stuff in there. But most likely with more rpm is more heat and you caught it on fire. If it got hot it may be restricted, if it smoked more than normal it caught on fire and needs to be burnt out. Or you can take it off and bonfire it to burn the stuff out, or cut it open and clean it, up to you. Most of them sound quieter if they are full of stuff. Empty muffler will ping at idle like a 2 stroke does.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Ironworker85
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I really like the power gain i got with the spring i mainly use the cart for hunting and gettin around on the farm. The stock spring wit 23" tires was great top end just gutless when it came to hills. If i open the exhaust up is there any tricks with them to open the flow up a bit or just clean them out and put back together?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker85 View Post
I really like the power gain i got with the spring i mainly use the cart for hunting and gettin around on the farm. The stock spring wit 23" tires was great top end just gutless when it came to hills. If i open the exhaust up is there any tricks with them to open the flow up a bit or just clean them out and put back together?
Have you cooked the muffler already?
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #10
Ironworker85
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I did over the winter when i had cart all apart i had it in there for quite some time and it never really burned like some of the pictures ive seen. It sounds to me like its getting more muffled im wondering if mice got in the and made a nest recently
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha