lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default For the battery experts

I hope these questions are not too lame. I am curious about how batteries work when in a series pack, when it comes to charging.

When batteries are hooked up in a series, does one battery take more strain than another in the series? And does one end charge faster or stronger than another end? Does it do any good to swap battery positions periodically to make sure that they all get an equal charge, or equal wear? I have a feeling that the position of the battery makes no difference. Or does it?

I had a battery in a 48v pack that appeared to have a bad cell (shorted?). At the time, I had a 16v to 12v reducer on the pack and now that I think about it, I think that the battery that went bad may have been used in the 16v connection. I'm not positive. I have since installed a 48v to 12v reducer.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: For the battery experts

no they charge equally if they were discharged equally ...

yes if you don't rotate the 16v to 12v reducer off different batteries it can ruin the 2 you used

here is some good info

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/How_Batteries_Work.html
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
At the time, I had a 16v to 12v reducer on the pack and now that I think about it, I think that the battery that went bad may have been used in the 16v connection. I'm not positive. I have since installed a 48v to 12v reducer.
From my experience in the industrial world, when we connected to a single battery in a pack it always resulted in premature failure on the battery being drawn from individually, So, you are probably correct in your analysis of which battery(s) had the issue.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
no they charge equally if they were discharged equally ...

yes if you don't rotate the 16v to 12v reducer off different batteries it can ruin the 2 you used

here is some good info

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/How_Batteries_Work.html
Good info, thanks.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the answers.

I was going to purchase new batteries for my wife's cart, but ended up with a big dental bill this month. So, since my batteries are only a year old and she uses her cart every day, versus me using mine once or twice a week, I decided to swap my pack for her pack for right now. I don't want her to get stranded somewhere, so she will get the newer, broke in battery pack. I'll take hers and keep it on the Save-a-battery maintainer when not in use. At least, until the budget will allow for another new set.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
crash test dummy

Old 09-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

I still have my wife's OLD battery pack, minus one that I replaced with a new battery. Next payday, I will replace another. More medical bills preclude me from replacing all of them right now. Hopefully, the strain of charging weak with new won't damage the batteries before I replace all of them.

I have been using the Save a Battery maintainer on the battery pack and it has kept them pretty well charged. I removed it last night after I installed a digital volt meter and this morning the meter read 50.7 volts. Not too bad considering the age of the batteries (over five years) and the lack of maintenance on them prior to my purchase of the golf cart they were in. I won't pretend that the batteries are in optimal shape, but they get me to where I need to go, IF I keep an eye on the charge. Now, I will be able to watch the voltage a bit easier, as the analogue meter jumped all over the place as I used the accelerator. Now, I will be able to see how much charge I use in my limited distance I travel. I don't use it for golf. I use it for transportation to the pickle ball courts and to the hardware store or Walmart. I doubt I travel more than ten miles between charging, with this cart. When we go any distance we use my wife's cart with the newer battery pack.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The problem with individually replacing batteries is that you bring the new batteries down to the level of the old batteries. Gradually, your new batteries will be the same effective age as your old batteries. That is why it is always preferable to replace the whole pack at once. Just a consideration.

Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelydude View Post
The problem with individually replacing batteries is that you bring the new batteries down to the level of the old batteries. Gradually, your new batteries will be the same effective age as your old batteries. That is why it is always preferable to replace the whole pack at once. Just a consideration.

Jack
I absolutely agree with your statement. I guess in my case, it has to do with financial priorities. I just checked my standing voltage after sitting for over 24hrs. It's 50.7 volts and holding. I figure that is about 95% charge, not counting the weakened state of the amps. I will only find out once I get out on the road. At least, with my new digital volt meter installed I should get an idea of running voltage. I noticed that the analogue meter bottoms out when I am going up a ramp from a tunnel here, even though it doesn't really seem to slow down. I have a 400 watt controller, so it does pull some power when it is floored and stressed.
Thanks for the input. I value all information I receive on this blog and that's why I participate so that others can see if they may have some of the same conditions.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

My though is if you current batteries are working now, go ahead and by your batteries as you can, save them until you get all of them and change them all at one time. I had to do that when my airplane needed new cylinders. It worked out great.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car