lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: For the battery experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
My though is if you current batteries are working now, go ahead and by your batteries as you can, save them until you get all of them and change them all at one time. I had to do that when my airplane needed new cylinders. It worked out great.
Good idea. I don't know if I would be able to keep them charged though. I wonder how long they last before too much discharge from sitting around? As a matter of fact, someone had mentioned in another thread that a golf cart battery pack will discharge at a certain rate if sitting idle without a voltage maintainer connected. I wish I could find that post because I am interested to find out what is the normal rate of discharge for a battery pack while it's sitting in the garage unused.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Idle self-discharge average of 1% per day (per JohnnieB).

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Idle self-discharge average of 1% per day (per JohnnieB).

Gracias.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Right now, it seems to be self discharging at about one tenth of a volt per day, for the last couple of days. But, that was after the initial charge up to 51+ and then settling down to 50.9 over night. the day before yesterday it was 50.7, yesterday 50.6 and today 50.5. It does have five year old batteries except for one. I'm just experimenting on a budget. I'll hook the maintainer back up to it once it drops to about 50 volts. Just want to see how fast it self-discharges.

I'm also doing some body work and wiring some extras, so I am not using it right now. My wife asked me today, why I want it to look like a rat car? I said, why not? But, the reason is that I know how expensive it would cost to fix the cart up the way I would like it. She has a nice looking Yamaha, so it's ok if I have an eyesore to drive around in. It reminds me of my old '78 F100 that I kept on the road for no reason, but that it was cool. Dents and rot gave it that extra protection from idiot drivers. Worked like an invisible barrier.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oct 1 and the voltage is still at 50.4 volts. It's been steady at this position for a couple of days now. Not using the cart because I have the front cowl off to paint it and do some electrical work. I am waiting til it goes down to 50 volts even, before charging again. Want to see how fast it discharges from the full charge. Not scientific, but just a little experiment with the old batteries.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oct 4 and the voltage is down to 50.3 volts and steady.

Painted the roof struts and added a yamaha or toyota front car grill to the front of my CC DS. Waiting for some marker lights to arrive in the mail so that I can add wire them in, along with some white leds to help the old head lights provide a bit of night time driving assistance. I am also waiting for some orange pin striping tape to go with my orange water proof upholstery material. I rattle can painted the front cowl a satin black. I still need to start working on the rear body. I have some holes filled in but need to sand and paint it. But, I digress.

This thread was supposed to be regarding my battery pack. This week, I plan to test the batteries and pick the weakest one to replace with a new battery. I plan to go ahead and start replacing them, one at a time. I know, I have been warned. And I do appreciate it, but if I wait to start replacing the batteries until I can do all of them at once, it will be after Christmas. And I do still need my golf cart to get around. My wife needs hers and she is reluctant to let me use hers and leave her stranded at home. So, I am going to take a chance and replace them one at a time. I already replaced the original bad battery with a new one.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #17
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well, I discovered something today regarding voltage meters.

Using a fairly new digital volt/ohm meter, I checked the battery pack and individual batteries to see how they are holding up to a charge. I still haven't charged them and wanted to check the battery water using a cheap dropper type instrument with four balls that are supposed to float. I also had recently installed a digital volt meter on the dashboard. The digital volt meter installed is giving me a reading of 50.3 volts steady. I discovered that my pretty decent digital volt/ohm meter is giving me a 5.9 volt reading. Seems to me that this is quite a bit difference. I gave up on checking the individual cells with the dropper type tester. The balls didn't want to float except on the one good/newer battery I have. On the other batteries, I get 8.4 on five batteries and 8.5 on the newer battery. That comes out to 50.5 volts which is within two tenths of a volt of the dash meter. I was going to yank one of the batteries today and exchange it for a new one, but got to messing around with the cart and didn't get going. I will yank it tomorrow morning and exchange it. I know, I have received the warning loud and clear as to the possible damage using mixed batteries. I don't like to do it, but like I said the budget dictates and I do need to use the golf cart.

Now, my son wants to sell the gas cart he bought recently for his rental and then decided not to offer it. I think I can get it cheap but just can't fit it in the budget right now. Nice cart too. He had to have the governor adjusted because it was going too fast for the area and he didn't want the liability of a possible accident. But, I digress again.

Still waiting for the pack charge to drop down to 50 volts even. It may not drop before I install another battery in it, and have to charge it. It's probably going to mess up my experiment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car