lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 starter generator not charging?

I got the brushes installed and the S/G mounted back up today and it fired right up but now the engine doesn't die when I let off the gas. So I now have a ground issue. I traced every wire and checked all the connections and I can't find it. My emergency kill switch works and I've got a butt splice in the kill wire and when I grounded it to the block it also killed the engine. so something is not working right. Now can the 5 pin relay be stuck in the open position? I have it inline from the Start/stop switch off the pedal to the starter relay so that you can push the pedal and power/ open the relay and and that powers the starter solenoid, let off the gas killing the power and it closes the relay and grounds the engine. That and the start stop switch are the only things I can think of that could be wrong. I got frustrated and just walked away from it until tomorrow. Oh and I haven't added the wire that Prowler suggested because I was just going to test the S/G and then splice it in. Oh well!
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #12
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic247 View Post
..... it fired right up but now the engine doesn't die when I let off the gas. So I now have a ground issue. I traced every wire and checked all the connections and I can't find it. My emergency kill switch works and I've got a butt splice in the kill wire and when I grounded it to the block it also killed the engine. so something is not working right. Now can the 5 pin relay be stuck in the open position? I have it inline from the Start/stop switch off the pedal to the starter relay so that you can push the pedal and power/ open the relay and and that powers the starter solenoid, let off the gas killing the power and it closes the relay and grounds the engine.
Well, I looked over your revised circuit diagram again. It looks correct. If the cart is wired like the drawing, the kill wire should work.

Yes, there is a chance that the 5 pin relay is bad. if electrical components are manufactured bad, they will usually fail in the 1st 24hrs of continuous use.

1. Stick a voltmeter on pin 86 and make sure that you're getting +12Vdc. Seems like you must be, or the cart would never start.

2. Disconnect the Pos term of the battery and check pins 85 and 30 to ground.

3, Also, check continuity from your Emerg switch to pin 87A.

it's there somewhere - you just gotta find it!

Regard,
Todd
Prowlerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

When I start adding the LED lights, Radio, and winch should I add a 40 amp 4 pin relay to power the Fuse block so to protect the ignition and start stop switch and to keep from blowing the 20 amp fuse. The reason I ask is cause the LED light bars I have total 200 watts and draw 16+ amps and if they're on and I use the winch it could overload the 20 amp fuse. Or am I over thinking the whole thing?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic247 View Post
When I start adding the LED lights, Radio, and winch should I add a 40 amp 4 pin relay to power the Fuse block so to protect the ignition and start stop switch and to keep from blowing the 20 amp fuse. The reason I ask is cause the LED light bars I have total 200 watts and draw 16+ amps and if they're on and I use the winch it could overload the 20 amp fuse. Or am I over thinking the whole thing?
I think I would. That'll take those loads straight to the battery via a separate fuse. Or, at least, wire each of these loads straight to the battery with their own switches and fuses.

I don't know the amp rating on the key switch, but those loads sound a little large for it.

I think it's a good idea.

R/Todd
Prowlerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

What got me thinking was the wiring kit for the lights came with a 40 amp 4 pin relay to take the load off the switch. I guess to keep from burning the switch up. I'm going to add a relay to each item just to add a level of protection. It might be a little overkill but it should prevent blown fuses and burnt switches.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
motocycle@btinternet.com
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Hi Todd.Iset up my system which is all new as your extra wire diagram but it does not charge,the voltmeter on the battery flashes between 12 and 0 volts constantly.I have a 3 wire VR mechanical,when I press the contacts the engine slightly speeds up.Having tried everything I am completely worked out.
motocycle@btinternet.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
kebotrans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Old Thread but it may have just saved me some serious headaches. Prowler 1 the wire that you showed the OP missed, can you explain what that wire does? My issue is I do not see that wire on my cart G9. However my Voltage Regulator is working correctly and sending back corrected voltage via r/w to SG yet coming into the battery it is still to high. Around 16.5 at 2000 to 2500 rpm
kebotrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha