lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
jrut
Not Yet Wild

Default Permanent Bypass 1997 DS Series Cart OBC

My 97 series cart has a bad OBC. I determined this with the bypass wire from the grey wire from recepticle to the #6 battery negative terminal in combination with the original Powerdrive charger.

I purchased a Schauer charger for the cart instead of another OBC. I am concerned that the bypass wire above is not the permanent fix for the bypass. The charger will not go into float mode, seems to not shut off, and the aftermarket battery charge level meter on cart showing charge level is now in the overcharged state. It had never gone into overcharged state before with the Powerdrive charger so I shut the Schauer charger off.

Is the jumper wire from the grey fused wire to #6 negative terminal the permanent fix? I also tried the grey wire hooked up as original and a jumper to #6 negative from the recepticle black wire with the same results.
jrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Permanent Bypass 1997 DS Series Cart OBC

how long had charger been running when you saw the overcharge ?
type of meter ?
volts of cart ?
by pass is for powerdrive charger
Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good Luck.
usagcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
jrut
Not Yet Wild

48 volt cart - six eight volt flooded cell batteries. Charger had only been on about one hour, but each battery had been nearly charged individually with a 6 volt/2 amp charge.

After the cart sat overnight off charger I went back out and checked it. The charge level gauge is now in the charged area and not overcharged. I put a volt meter on each battery and each showed about 7.5 volts. I plugged charger back in and it is on full charge again. I will monitor each battery's charge with the voltmeter.

Do I disconnect the original black wire from the recepticle to the OBC with the new wire from recepticle to #6 negative in place? These directions from a different brand charger seem to indicate so:

Step 4: Once the wire is cut, strip back the insulation of the black wire that comes from the
receptacle. Again, trace the wire back to the receptacle to ensure the correct wire is being
stripped. Attach a Posi-Lock to the stripped wire. As for the other end of the original black wire to OBC (not
used), crimp/close off the wire for protection.
jrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
crash test dummy

each battery is not important , pack voltage is
there is a stage on charging where high amps are put through pack to equalize the batteries
i do not know about the Schauer charger , but the DPI charger you dont need the bypass or the pack negative cable
the OBC uses the neg wire to tell how much power was used and how much to replace with charger
yours does not need this information
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car