lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
jonl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1994 DS controller comes on when press pedal, but motor does not engage

Hello. Have a 1994 DS with an Alltrax controller installed as a replacement. Worked great. My daughter drives it mostly and told me it was starting to run intermittently. It would sometimes take right off but then stop later when she tried to go again. Or, it would not work at first but then after several pedal presses would take off and run great. I checked connections all the way back to the controller and everything looks normal.

After it sat for awhile to replace the steering rack and ball joints (kept it charged, etc.) when I push on the accelerator all I get is a click coming from the controller. I crawled under it, had my daughter push on the accelerator and the controller does click, a green light to the side of the fins and the small connectors comes on, fades for a second or two, then comes on steady. But, no motion from the cart.

I did notice under the cart that there was a heavy gauge white wire coming from the motor that appeared to be spliced with another white wire with a lot of electrical tape. I mean a LOT: the wad is about 2 inches across in a square shape. Also, it appears the casing from the wire is a bit deformed, perhaps from heat. Perhaps the splice job has weakened. Nothing else in any of the controller fittings appears loose or damaged.

Anything anyone can tell me to troubleshoot? We are in a new location a long way from any cart shops so we kind of have to be self sufficient the best we can.

Thanks!
jonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1994 DS controller comes on when press pedal, but motor does not engage

Checking the wire with all the tape is first. If its the A2 wire that goes to the controller and then another white wire to the motor, you can just skip the wire going to the controller and just wire it straight to the A2 terminal of the motor, leaving nothing on the post on the controller. If that is what you have.

Jumping the solenoid will be an easy check also just to make sure solenoid is not the issue.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1994 DS controller comes on when press pedal, but motor does not engage

Also check for signs of wear and heat on the F+R switch (the other end of the white cable).

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
jonl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks. I will check those items out and see what it reveals. If there is indication of heat on the other end of the A2 what does that mean?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Signs of excessive heat at the motor A terminal indicates a high amperage draw. This can be caused by excessive load which could be anything from too big a tire, too heavy a load, too steep or too slow going, or anything that keeps the motor in high amp demand for too long.
It can also indicate a motor problem from use as listed above.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #6
jonl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nothing has changed with how the cart has been used, same tires, same everything.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There are several wear parts in a drive system. The wear is accumulative. Like in the case of a failed F&R, the contacts wear overs years of use. The same is true of motor brushes.

Does the cart go if you push it a little first?
Does the solenoid click when you try to go, with the key on and in gear?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
jonl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ScottyB: Pushing it does not help. It does click when in gear and key on. I cleaned off the FNR switch and some other electrical contacts this morning before doing anything else and it ran for about 25 feet then stopped. Would not gohow tell if oil in coolant forward or reverse after that but still clicks when engage pedal. Another thing I have noticed is when I plug it in to charge it requires me to removed the plug to the cart and reinsert to charge. It won't recharge again unless I unplug it from the cart (not the wall) and reinsert the plug into the cart. Not sure if that is related or another issue.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
jonl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. I think I have it narrowed to the F/R switch or micro switches making intermittent contact as far as the intermittent running. When it runs, it runs well. Then just stops. Will replace those and see how that works. Thanks again.

Tags
intermittent operation
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car