lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

Default EXGO Rear Wheel Ball Bearing Removal

I have a 2013 EZGO Gas Terrain. Which is basically an Express with a dump bed. I believe the axle is the same as a TXT because it shares the Kawasaki 13hp motor. My issue is that once I have removed the tire, opened the brake drum and removed the snap ring I have no leverage to pull the rear ball bearing. I've attached a diagram. Basically 14 is inside of 10 (from the diagram) and I cannot pull 14. Any thoughts on how I can pull 14 out with the axle in place?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle.jpg (7.5 KB, 0 views)
cr2256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EXGO Rear Wheel Ball Bearing Removal

Quick note, 14 is the closed ball bearing in case is hard to see from the pic.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After removing the snap ring you will need to pull the shaft from the housing. The bearing will come out of the housing with the shaft. You will then remove the bearing from the shaft. The bearing fits tighter to the shaft than the housing. The seal will stay inside the housing.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Should I use the brake drum as sort of a slide hammer against the hex nut to get the shaft out? Also when I take the shaft out would oil tend to come out of the differential? What the best approach for putting the shaft back in? How do I know its "in"?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes you can use the drum as extra leverage.

Oil can come out. I will just have the side I am working on higher than the other so very little will come out.

Before you reinstall the parts, clean up the area in the axle tube where the bearing will fit. Wipe a little grease on the seal to give it a little lube. With your new bearing installed on the axle shaft reintroduce it to the axle tube being mindful of the seal, you don't want to hurt it. With just hand pressure you should feel the shaft contacting the side gear in the differential. Rotate the shaft so the splines line up. You will feel them mate. At this point the bearing will be trying to enter its pocket. You may now gently tap the axle and bearing to seat. Do not get aggressive. If it is not going, stop. Your splines are likely not aligned and if you beat on it bad things happen.

Many times when I have replaced them they will go in just by hand. You will know when it is correct when you can install the snap ring and the axle turns smoothly and freely.

Take your time, you can do it. The hardest part is removal due to dirt and corrosion.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

Thank for the detailed description. I got it back in no problem. The biggest issue was getting the old bearing off the shaft. I held it with a vise and got it off. I put the new one on with a 1" lead pipe so I could slide the bearing straight.

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

Hello, one last question. Everything seemed to go in very smooth but now the differential appears to be leaking. I wonder if it's just the remaining fluid that leaked into the axle housing or if I now have a leak between the axle and the differential (oil seal). Any thoughts?

thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

where do you see it coming from?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

A leak is common on a first timer for that job. When the axle was put back in it just slightly nicked the inner seal, now it leaking.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
cr2256
Not Yet Wild

It's coming from where the black axle housing connects to the differential. I do believe that when I added oil back into the differential it was too full. For now I have let the extra oil out of the diff and I haven't seen any oil yet. Fingers crossed...

Tags
bearing, removal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO