lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
kxracer755
Not Yet Wild

Default 295 connecting rods

Hi all! Newbie to the site here....

I have an ezgo marathon with a Robyn 295 in it. Was smoking pretty bad so I decided to do a rebuild on it. Everything seems pretty good internally, intake valves were pretty far gone, luckily seats still look good. But I plan to replace rings, intake valves, and connecting rods.

Question 1: does any one suggest I do anything else while I have it torn down?
Question 2: does anyone have a suggestion on connecting rods? I read on here to get ezgo Textron rods only as aftermarket fails, but can't seem to find them anywhere, only aftermarket ones, seems they no longer make parts for this?? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
kxracer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Tdfrancis
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 295 connecting rods

I would do the Valve seals and guides. If your doing your connecting rods I’m assuming there is some wear? How is your crank?
Tdfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
kxracer755
Not Yet Wild

I will be doing valve seals for sure, do I need a machine shop to put the guides in? Sorry for the dumb question, my first rebuild. Also no wear on the crank or rods, just thought it would be a good idea to replace them as I know they are a weak point, unless suggested to keep my stock ones in place.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Take it from experience... measure the crank and every part of the motor while it's apart. I would tear down, clean, measure, and then order parts so you know what you need.

Also when you take the case side off, pay special attention to the o-ring near the top. This is super important and easy to miss. If missing you'll have zero oil pressure in the head, the cam will seize in the head and then you've got a mess.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
kxracer755
Not Yet Wild

Ok will do, I finally have everything apart, found out I have a bad crank bearing, so I am glad I took the crank all the way out! Will be measuring everything here soon and see where that takes me. Thanks! And yes, I seen a previous post in here about that little O ring so I made sure to take note of that, the gasket kit includes that so I will be replacing it. Much appreciated!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
kxracer755
Not Yet Wild

Also,

During the tear down I somehow missed them, I have 2 small brass sleeves that ended up on my work bench that I have no idea where they came from, they are about 1/4"-3/8" long and maybe a 1/4" hole diameter. I cannot find these in the manual for the life of me. I will post pics later on, but does anyone have an idea of where they might have came from? Or did I miss these on my initial bench clean up and they are not from the motor.

Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Are they the alignment dowels for the side case?

And save the o-ring. The one in the gasket kit wont fit. It's too big.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
kxracer755
Not Yet Wild

Oh ok, will make sure to save the original then! Thanks!

But they are not, those dowels are still there and so are the ones in the head. these have a hole in them, look like a spacer of some sort, usually see them on the head of a dirtbike or something, totally unsure of where they came from, I cant find a spot anywhere in this thing!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If anyone knows, it would be trig

I'm guessing they're the brass spacers/inserts that keep you from crushing plastic when you bolt the plastic on... maybe fan cover or carb?

I'm not super super familiar with all the inner workings of these engines, I've only been into a couple 295's, but I did have a 350 that I took apart waaaaay more times than I care to admit though lol. Learned exactly what NOT to do on that one!

SAve the o-ring for the oil pump cover too. The replacement ones don't fit either.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

They didn't come from the inside of this engine.

Look where you removed the air box and see if they fell out.
Most important is they are not part of these engines. If you buy OEM gasket and seal kit the o-rings should fit but l like CP241 said the aftermarket o-rings don't seem to fit. I use the old ones most of the time unless they are really hard .. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacers.jpg (105.3 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO