lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Turns over but won't fire

1996 Club Car, gas

So, for the most part, my cart runs pretty good. But occasionally, the starter just turns over but it won't fire. Once it goes it operates as it always does (meaning the problem will randomly reoccur. It has, even died while driving (no engine fire, but starter turns).

I have polished three different grounding points: under the dash, engine to frame, and battery to frame. I have replaced the ignition switch. I'd really like to figure this out.

What I usually do is, while holding the pedal down, i turn the key off and then slowly turn it back to the on position. I feel like this offers better opportunity than just doing nothing, but I don't know if this means it's in the switch (which I doubt because it acts the same with the new and old switch).

Is there something else that controls the spark that is seperate from the starter?

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Turns over but won't fire

The rev limiter can cause this also. Front lower center of the motor there is a little box with a wire grounded right next to it. Disconnect that ground and see what happens.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info...short version is that it didn't work.

That ground was loose, so I was so excited about getting it cleaned and put back on. Drove about a half mile and it did it again. I fiddle with the key and it finally fires. Drive 100 yards and then fiddle with the wires down there. It won't start so I do my key turn off/turn on 3 or 4 times and it finally fires. Drive it a mile with 2 stops and no problems.

Man, I was excited. I thought I was a genius and I was going to have a great summer. Turns out I'm normal with a mediocre summer on the horizon.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Is there a way to test the ignition switch with a multimeter? Or is the wiring such that if the starter is turning then the switch is good.

I don't know if my flipping the switch is helping or just a quicker way of cycling the starter (rather than lifting off the pedal).
Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

So, I don't know much....

Tonight, I disconnected the ground to the Rpm limiter. I did not notice any difference in engine performance. then, it did the "not firing" thing again.

I'm ignorant and confused.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda sounds like a bad microswitch is grounding the coil when this happens.

Get any spare spark plug, and next time this happens pull the plug wire off and put the spare plug in the end. Lay the spark plug where the threaded section is touching clean metal on the engine and press the pedal to crank the engine over. See if you have consistent blue spark.
If it has no spark There’s a white and black stripe wire that runs down the right side of the engine to the rev limiter and coil. That wire is for the ignition kill circuit. If you unplug that wire (there’s a bullet plug connector down near the rev limiter) the kill circuit is disconnected from the coil.
Isolate the black wire from the rev limiter so it can’t touch anything, and check again for spark. To verify it’s getting good spark, you can reconnect the plug wire to the engine, and try to run the engine. It will NOT shut off on its own with the kill circuit disconnected, you will have to ground the black wire to the engine to short the coil and turn it off.

If you disconnect the kill circuit and still get no spark, the coil is failing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips. I will give this a try to test my coil.

However, you mentioned a bad microswitch. Is there a way to test the microswitches?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlb7928 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will give this a try to test my coil.

However, you mentioned a bad microswitch. Is there a way to test the microswitches?
Yes. Do as he said.

If it runs fine with the white/black kill circuit disconnected, then you have a bad microswitch that's grounding out the coil and shutting it off. Disconnecting the white/black kill circuit bypasses the microswitches from the ignition system.

IF it continues to have a problem with no spark with the white/black disconnected, then you have a bad coil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #9
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I did the procedure and still had the problem...so I ordered a coil. I am looking forward to feeling really smart when I replace the coil and it runs awesome.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I do hope you ordered an OEM ignition coil. If not, cancel the order or return it when it arrives and get an OEM coil or you'll get to pull the motor again real soon and replace it again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car