lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Taquache
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What Year Is My Cart - NO ID TAG

Hello all, I've been doing some searching and reading and have started learning about these sweet machines.

I recently bought my first cart for $50 and am starting the process to get it back running and then modified to suit my style.

I need some assistance identifying the year and/or knowing what year ranges are acceptable for parts and manuals for this cart.

I'll be posting pictures of the cart and other potential identifying marks in following posts in this thread.

I believe I have it narrowed down to either a 80-82 or 84-87 based on body style, engine (2PG), muffler location, and starter/generator mounting (external).

Thanks for the help! I look forward to getting this thing back on the pavement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front-Side.jpg (55.8 KB, 0 views)
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Year Is My Cart - NO ID TAG

I can tell you that it's older than 87. The EZGO emblem is in the wrong place for 87.

Where is the gas tank? Is there an access hatch behind the seat? I believe 81, and 82 had that feature.

How many microswitches are mounted on the FnR switch? 86, and up had 2.

I think those roof struts make it older too, but I don't know the years for that.

This 85 manual should take care of most of your needs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice find.
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cart we bought to make a trailer out of has the same front roof struts. It is a 79. I think they went to roof struts mounted to the side of the cowl just a year or two later.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

My 85 still has the front roof frame struts bolted on top, and the rear struts look the same as in the pic. So my guess would be somewhere around an 85 give or take a year or two
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Taquache
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I can tell you that it's older than 87. The EZGO emblem is in the wrong place for 87.

Where is the gas tank? Is there an access hatch behind the seat? I believe 81, and 82 had that feature.

How many microswitches are mounted on the FnR switch? 86, and up had 2.

I think those roof struts make it older too, but I don't know the years for that.

This 85 manual should take care of most of your needs.
Thanks for the manual link!

Fuel tank is inside the engine compartment with access under the seat.

Don't know about the number of microswitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
Nice find.
Thanks! I'm excited to get it running and modify it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine 1.jpg (55.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Taquache
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can't post links yet so here are a few more attachment uploads of some of the electronics and one of the engine tag I'm working to identify and may help date the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (53.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Tag.jpg (30.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Somebody has messed with the wiring. There is a large black cable that looks new attached to the solenoid. I can't see where it goes. It needs to attach to the F2 terminal of the starter, or to the positive battery post. Anything else is wrong.

There is a red wire attached to the center terminal of the voltage regulator. That wire is green from the factory, so I know it's been changed. The other end of it should be attached to a small stud on the side of the starter. Anywhere else is wrong.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more detailed pictures of the wiring. That's also a really weird way to run the fuel line.

Show us a picture of the throttle cable, and the top of the carburetor. Let's see if they got that right.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Taquache
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Somebody has messed with the wiring. There is a large black cable that looks new attached to the solenoid. I can't see where it goes. It needs to attach to the F2 terminal of the starter, or to the positive battery post. Anything else is wrong.

There is a red wire attached to the center terminal of the voltage regulator. That wire is green from the factory, so I know it's been changed. The other end of it should be attached to a small stud on the side of the starter. Anywhere else is wrong.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more detailed pictures of the wiring. That's also a really weird way to run the fuel line.

Show us a picture of the throttle cable, and the top of the carburetor. Let's see if they got that right.

Thanks for the immediate tips, I wont be back near the cart again until Wednesday but I'll definitely get any an all pictures you need/want.

I agree with the odd routing for the fuel line and will most certainly be changing that (fresh filter and the hose is all cracked anyway)

The big black cable is run directly to the positive on the battery if I remember correctly.

I'm also planning on doing the HEI update ASAP as well.

I've ordered a fuel pump, carb, belts, and an air filter.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Wow, Wish your engine tag was in better shape. But here's a pic of mine, notice the 'Motor No' begins with '85'. That's the year of the engine and IF it's the original one it would also make the cart that year too, Maybe you can make out a number there on yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20170713_102157 (2).jpeg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO