lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
MrsMadHatter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2002 Turf 1 Steering, brakes, sputter

Hello, please excuse my lack of knowledge of anything mechanical in advance. My husband can remodel a house, preach, anything with audio production but not mechanics. We bought 2 project carts the 2002 gas Turf 1 has loose steering, the brakes has to be pressed hard all the way and still not braking great. Also when accelerating it sputters until higher speed achieved but continues to sputter each time you slow then accelerate. The other is a 1990 electric DS, lifted, that has 6 6v batteries that when tested read 6.5, 1 at 6.2, all new solenoids but seems lagging, reverse doesn’t work, brakes are sluggish, steering is very loose, husband compares it to steering a boat. N idea if these pics from Turf 1 matter. I also have pics for the other.
So far a small engine mechanic neighbor has done the following

1990 Electric DS
5 New solenoids

2002 Turf 1 Gas
REPLACED
Ignition coil
Fuel filter
Brake shoes
Brake assembly lever SPRING
1 Solenoid
Fuel pump
Carb cleaned

Last edited by MrsMadHatter; 06-25-2019 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Uploading photos
MrsMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Turf 1 Steering, brakes, sputter

Loose steering is almost always worn out bushings or loose bolts in the fronts suspension. Needs to be jacked up off the round and be checked over.

Brakes could be locked up brake cables or the shoes are cheap quality from china. Need to disconnect the cables at both ends and make sure they both move freely. If they feel stiff or have any bends or kinks especially near the ends of the cable sheath replace them. If the brake shoes were not genuine Club Car brand shoes, take them off and get genuine Club Car shoes. They make a world of difference.

Sputtering when accelerating is usually due to a lack of fuel. Either the carb is dirty or misadjusted, or possibly the vent for the carb bowl is clogged. If the carb bowl can't vent it won't get enough fuel in to run properly.

I hope your mechanic installed a new Kawasaki OEM coil. A cheap aftermarket coil is going to fail.
Unless you had a situation where there was clearly no spark, The original coil was probably never an issue.

You should start a separate thread for the electric cart in the Club Car Electric section, and try to provide more details about the cart. Those 36v carts are slow to begin with but that one probably needs All new batteries. Had you not spent the money on 5 new solenoids I would say this would be the best time to upgrade that one to a solid state controller and 48V battery pack.
Same tips as above go for the front suspension and brakes.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
MrsMadHatter
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Turf 1 Steering, brakes, sputter

Thank you so much. I know the coil and solenoids were oem and the shoe pads did come from the local golf cart shop. I will check out the rest.
MrsMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, gas, sputtering, steering, turf 1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car